2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
loving my black alloys :)
510 Posts
i run mine on the tesco 99ron and seems much more alert than normal 95ron.

cant comment on v power but its supposed to be good.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
in a stock CTr it's the same. The ignition tables don't change,
In a mod CTR with flashpro with 98/99 fuel you can add more ignition and have more power with no knocks. So with flashpro you can have more power in the stock car no.

·
Registered
698 Posts
it makes no difference mate you will maybe get a little better mpg but for peformance it doesnt matter;)

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
i run mine on the tesco 99ron and seems much more alert than normal 95ron.

cant comment on v power but its supposed to be good.
As do i, it does make a difference. I dont get any flat spots during acceleration and the throttle is more responsive. Cant comment about mpg because ive never been interested really.

·
Registered
264 Posts
V power does make
a difference in a stock
Ctr I think. Well Ive been running it since new on v power so I can't really comment on 95. But as y'all say you get what you pay for.

·
LOUD NOISES!!!
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The reason I asked is that I was out and about .... running a bit low on fuel and the next garage I came to was shell so I filled her up with V-power. Didn't think too much of it and carried on vteccing my way home (was without missus and child and the roads were clear ;)). Normally when I vtec a dozen or so times after filling up and I check the average mpg after 20 miles it usually says something stupid like 15mpg. When I checked it, it read 25mpg. So I drove normally the rest of the way home and it read 30 mpg, this is after driving about 30 miles. I've now done about 80 miles (non motorway with a good handful of 'teccing) its currently reading 29.3 mpg. I've had the car for just over a month now and I couldn't seem to get the mpg over 25.

Now I'm not trying to save fuel and get the best mpg out of my CTR cause that's not why I brought it but I was surprised at the sudden jump in mpg when I put V-power in.

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yes it does.

Better fuel reduces knock so you can advance ignition more.

Mapping on the "Stock" ECU is constantly reducing ignition to knock voltage level detected. Using higher octain fuel reduces the amount of ignition retard thus making more power.

I proved this on the dyno and it was as much as 5bhp in places between 95 normal unleaded and V-Power.

It says 95 on the filler cap as a minimum....not as recommended.;)

Manual says:
"Your vehicle is designed to operate on Premium/Super unleaded petrol with a Research Octain Number (RON) of 95 or higher"

·
Geordies!!!!:-):-)
1,839 Posts
defo runs smoother from cold and slightly better mpg.
smoother from cold....hmmmmmmmmm well mine isnt and i have always used shell v power since i had the car at 2 months old!!:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
i've used super in my ctr and made a more noticeable difference to the size of my wallet than to acceleration

1 - 20 of 40 Posts