1,600 Posts
The best option is:

VARTA BLUE DYNAMIC
570 412 063.....70ah

because of dimensions
261 175 220

because varta is standard battery from honda factory in uk in honda diesel

because of price/power ratio

The physical dimensions are almost identical on the Sønnak versus the Varta BD. It only differs with 9 mm on the lenght and +- 2mm's in the two other directions!

Furthermore it is hard to find a local supplier around here of the Varta's, and also I think they are noticeable more expensive than the Sønnak's, and the Superline series by Sønnak are by no means bad batteries. Far from it. :D

Will keep you posted in how I proceed!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If you look picture from -notso- you will see thet there is very very small space from left to the right of bosch s6 battery and very near to the black plastics on left side and it is because of lenght of battery.Varta is only 261 mm and thet is ideal dimension.

Varta is only 60 euro,and Sonnak from your link is 88 euro.

Starting power for Varta is 630A and for Sonnak 540A.

We all wait for your proceed,just go for it.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
If you look picture from -notso- you will see thet there is very very small space from left to the right of bosch s6 battery and very near to the black plastics on left side and it is because of lenght of battery.Varta is only 261 mm and thet is ideal dimension.

Varta is only 60 euro,and Sonnak from your link is 88 euro.

Starting power for Varta is 630A and for Sonnak 540A.

We all wait for your proceed,just go for it.

OK, thanks xenon, we'll see!
I just found a Varta retailer here in the Bergen area, so I will go and check them out today.
Stay tuned for more...;)

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Hi

amronno

Did you order honda civic diesel battery holder?????

No - not yet mate.
I didn't make any progress in my battery project today.
The (tyre) shop with the Varta batteries I mentioned earlier today didn't stock/sell them anymore although their website was full of them - only some cheapo Hankook batteries, so that was a big disappointment. They just made me waste my time - for nothing. So no I have no idea where to get hold of a Varta battery...:mad:
I might have to go for another brand (Sønnak) anyway now.
I'll keep you posted. ;)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
No - not yet mate.
I didn't make any progress in my battery project today.
The (tyre) shop with the Varta batteries I mentioned earlier today didn't stock/sell them anymore although their website was full of them - only some cheapo Hankook batteries, so that was a big disappointment. They just made me waste my time - for nothing. So no I have no idea where to get hold of a Varta battery...:mad:
I might have to go for another brand (Sønnak) anyway now.
I'll keep you posted. ;)
First you must order battery holder from honda,then when you wait for holder you will find on internet shop varta battery.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
First you must order battery holder from honda,then when you wait for holder you will find on internet shop varta battery.
Wrong - I don't have to order the Diesel version battery holder, I just tell them to "borrow" one from the cars in the showroom. [smilie=cheeky-grin:[smilie=tongue.gif]

No, seriously - if you look back in this thread on what Notso wrote, he said he wasn't sure wether he needed the Diesel battery holder or not for his newly purchased Bosch S6 battery, but that he still ordered it anyway. That's why I think I will let it rest for a while till I see what the final result will end up with. If it turns out that I will need the holder, I guess I'll have to strap the new battery up in the meanwhile. ;) Notso did also provide a link to some battey tie downs further up in this thread...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Without new battery holder you can only put 45ah.I try this and it is must to put new battery holder.

You can try other then civic holder but it is very long time operatios because you must to bay and find thet it is not for honda,and to try many holder.

The best way is to bay honda civic holder and to cut and drill new hole.

I was in honda sevice today to order battery holder for civic diesel and i did not understand picture of holder because it is not metal plate it is some kind of box and i want thet Notso tell me is it metal flat plate holder or this is box plate holder type.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here is what i suggest you should do.
Use the original battery holder.
Cut down the sidewalls of the original black plastic tray containing the battery.
Place a rubbermat on top of the black plastic tray. I used one of those rubbermats designed for protecting your knees when working in the garden etc. The bottom was cut to fit the tray and the top to fit the battery. It works fine.
Buy a nice tie down. It will make it look a lot more professional than the one i used from the diesel.
Remember to place the bolts in their holes before placing the battery, there is no room for placing them afterwards.
You will have to cut a little in the black plastic surrounding the positive terminal.
Thats all.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Update

Today I bought a brand new 70 ah Sønnak Superline SB704 battery for my spaceship. I got it for NOK 985,- fitting included, which was NOK 26,- less than their website suggested. :)
It fitted right into the battery room in the Civic without the slightest problem. The only things that didn't fit anymore was the battery holder, which now became too short, and of course the plastic battery tray underneath it and the top plastic cover that covers it up around the side walls.
So I made a phone call to the local Honda dealer and ordered the battery bar for the dieselversions. They quoted me NOK 125,- for that, (just the bar that runs across the battery, not the long hooks/screws.) which was about what I expected it to cost. I'll buy a universal aftermarket battery tray when I find one that fits into my set up. I now just have to find a way to secure the new power station while I'm waiting for the new battery holder to arrive.
I'll post up some pictures soon. :p

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Here is what i suggest you should do.
Use the original battery holder.
Cut down the sidewalls of the original black plastic tray containing the battery.
Place a rubbermat on top of the black plastic tray. I used one of those rubbermats designed for protecting your knees when working in the garden etc. The bottom was cut to fit the tray and the top to fit the battery. It works fine.
Buy a nice tie down. It will make it look a lot more professional than the one i used from the diesel.
Remember to place the bolts in their holes before placing the battery, there is no room for placing them afterwards.
You will have to cut a little in the black plastic surrounding the positive terminal.
Thats all.

Thanks for the tip mate!
Much appreciated! :p
I may go for a nice tie down if I'm not happy with the Honda battery holder I just bought. (maybe I can paint it in a nice fresh colour?..)
My thoughts were to keep the original plastic tray for the resale of the car (in order to keep as many original bits as possible) and buy an aftermarket tray/battery box instead. :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
If I fit a battery more then or less then 74ah, that is suggested in the Honda Specs, will it do any harm to my spaceship electronics?

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
If I fit a battery more then or less then 74ah, that is suggested in the Honda Specs, will it do any harm to my spaceship electronics?
Absolutely NOT - a larger battery simply has more storage capacity - the 'running' Volts and Amps delivered are exactly the same ...

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
You know what?
The 70 ah Sønnak almost looked small down there.
It was more room for it than I actually was expecting, especially on the hight, it seems.
There was no problem whatsoever space wise. :D
Wonder why Honda didn't install a battery like this in the 1.8 in the first place?...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The only reason for installing 45ah is money.

My skoda fabia 2001 year have this:

-folded key

-all windows closed with remote

-motor isolation next to cabin

-better plastics on doors panels

-better speakers and more (8)

-signalisation for low level of windscreen wash

-battery cover for winter

-red light on front doors for security reason

None of thet is on honda.Honda want to save on parts which are not for savings just because of money.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
You know what?
The 70 ah Sønnak almost looked small down there.
It was more room for it than I actually was expecting, especially on the hight, it seems.
There was no problem whatsoever space wice. :D
Wonder why Honda didn't install a battery like this in the 1.8 in the first place?...
When your battery holder for diesel will be on your honda?

We all wants your pictures.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know why.......to save MONEY.

That`s right, you dont believe there is room for it. But there is. Maybe changing the left lightbulb has become difficult, i dont know.........and dont mind for now.

Did you experience that your headlights and instrumentlights suddenly was brighter? And the motor starts like it had electroconvulsive therapy :)

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
They had to order it - dunno from where, but they did not give me an exact date they would get it, but when they did they will leave a message on my mobile phone, they told me. However, I guess it will be some time around the middle of next week. Meanwhile I have to secure the battery temporarily with some elastic luggage straps.
Yes, pictures will soon follow, 'stay tuned'. :p

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Did you experience that your headlights and instrumentlights suddenly was brighter? And the motor starts like it had electroconvulsive therapy :)

Absolutely - Not only did the spaceship's instrument lights become as clear as a bright day, also the engine starts at the very moment I touch the starter button....Wohoo!! Love it! :p It's like it's in another league!
Thanks Notso for giving me this valuable input, thanks to your post about your battery swap.
If it wasn't for that, I'd most likely made a big mistake and ended up with another underdimensioned 45 ah battery. You now what it's like when you enter a battery dealer of some kind - the first thing they ask for is what car you are driving, then they check the vehicle list and finds out...Exactly....the right battery for your 8th gen. Honda Civic FK2 is the 45 ah battery...

21 - 40 of 50 Posts