2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Second clutch failure first at 40K now at 59K first was abnormal wear, this one is also abnormal wear (pressure plate design/ manufacturing issue), I am yet to find out if any will be paid for by Honda but I get the feeling they if they do cover any cost it will not be the flywheel as it's done 59K.

Question is can the slipping clutch cause the wear (lateral movement etc) in the flywheel, in which case if they cover one they should cover the other.

Just want to prepare my argument, any help much appreciated

If they cover nothing I may be going the CG Motosport route fitted by Honda.

·
Dr. Evil
3,831 Posts
Yes, but in my opinion only in extreme cases. If you leave it slipping long enough, the heat build up can start to warp the flywheel face..
+1

The longer the clutch is slipping for, the more damage it'll do to your flywheel. Sometimes Honda just change the clutch and leave the old flywheel, trouble is, if the flywheel goes then you'll need the clutch changing again too, doubling your bill.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I do wonder if they should have changed the flywheel when the last clutch went, it was near the limit.

Honda have agreed to pay for the Clutch and 3.5 hours labour, leaves me with 1.5 hours labour, oil, a seal (£65), flywheel (£440), courtesy car (£100) >£700. I bl00dy hope this one lasts more than 19K. My Civic VTI has done 140K and no problems. they don't make them like they used to!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Well it sounds like a partial result, but I would either tell them to keep the existing flywheel in (you're not paying for most of the install anyway) or if you're spending £700 anyway, just put another £100 in and get the CG clutch and DMF fitted at their workshop in Leeds and then never worry about it again.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The flywheel is shot and they have the cars guts hanging out now so most of the costs are unavoidable, courtesy car, seal, oil, part labour, putting the CG would end up costing me £200-300 more although I was tempted. I think I'll wait until next time! Unless the .325 actually lasts longer?

·
Premium Member
5,303 Posts
Yeah I do wonder if they should have changed the flywheel when the last clutch went, it was near the limit.

Honda have agreed to pay for the Clutch and 3.5 hours labour, leaves me with 1.5 hours labour, oil, a seal (£65), flywheel (£440), courtesy car (£100) >£700. I bl00dy hope this one lasts more than 19K. My Civic VTI has done 140K and no problems. they don't make them like they used to!
No they certainly dont

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.