2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Peoples, get your thinking caps on......

I have a 4 year old Type S GT 2.2 which i use for 100% Motorway driving. I do approx 20,000 Miles per year.
The car currently has 81,000 miles on the clock and is in pretty good mechanical condition, but the paintwork has more stone chips than Balfor have in the stock yard...
So.... Time to change maybe??
Do i spend £20k on a new Civic diesel and get approx 50ish to the gallon
Or
Do i spend £17k on a new Civic 1.4 Petrol and approx 45ish to the gallon?
Or
Drive my old girl into the ground and put another 80k on her...
Your thoughts please ???

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
My two cents:

With that sort of annual mileage Id keep her for now, and order 1.6 diesel and get 60-70 mpg (estimated), with a nice low tax bracket too! :)

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
With that sort of mileage and driving I'd have thought the delta between diesel and petrol fuel consumption would be greater. As you're considering both, performance is less of an issue so I'd agree with Sherrec and wait for the 1.6 diesel. More mpg, low tax and reasonable performance.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
AFAIK the math always says to drive the car you have into the ground providing it continues to cost little in repairs and remains reliable. At the end of the day I guess it depends what you want.

·
Grumpy Old Git ;)
388 Posts
Personally if it was me and it is mechanically sound I would keep it, and bank any potential finance payments you would pay to use as a deposit when it decides to start costing you money.

NOT sent from my PC/Laptop.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Personally if it was me and it is mechanically sound I would keep it, and bank any potential finance payments you would pay to use as a deposit when it decides to start costing you money.

I've had all the normal bits changed ie Brake disks, clutch, mid life service, etc so maybe a option.....

And i do like her !

BTW This is the 3rd 8th Gen i've had and i still have my 1st one (wife uses it) and she has 150K on her (the car not the wife)...

But i do fancy a new one ;) ( car that is) LOL

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
y'mean Brizzle?
For some reason I figured you were talking to Sherrec.
Not entirely sure how I reached that conclusion...

·
Grumpy Old Git ;)
388 Posts
I think you have answered your own question then :) if you sell it, someone else is only going to benefit from the cash and work you have already spent.
I say YOU need to benefit from those works.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
either way, no probs, will see what we can do if you want to change lo
Any idea when the 1.6 Oil burner is available ???

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Just my 2p, you wouldnt get 45mpg out of the gutless 1.4 as an engine so small needs flooring to get anywhere which gives very poor mpg, the 1.8 petrol is the same. The diesel on the other hand gives nice pace, not much effort to get to legal speeds and will give 50+ every time... The extra torque makes the every day driving so much easier

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
I would wait for the new oil burner, or wrap the bonnet.

Having got the use of the 1.4 9thgen for the week which finishes this weekend I miss the extra umph of the 1.8 so you will find the 1.4 a little sluggish I think.
That said I do like the dash, the better view through the rear window & the rear wiper, smoother ride & no rattles
Go and see Dann & drive round town in one, but take it on the motorway as well, that will put your mind at rest.
And do let us know how you get on !

1 - 20 of 30 Posts