2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Civic Type R
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally visited Donington Park for the first time! Quite a fast flowing circuit with some serious cherries required to go flat out through craners. I completely forgot to make a thread prior to this track day to see if anyone else would be interested, so apologies about that, but I suspect that we'll be going again in the new year. The day was ran by MSV and it was fully booked making many sessions seem like a set of parade laps at times. Most were well behaved but a few lacked common courtesy (maybe new to track days etc.) so it was frustrating at times. I've also never seen so many red flags throughout a single day, never mind a morning! Seeing the posts on FB groups indicates that it is quite common at the moment so maybe it's just bad timing / people going full send at the end of their season.

A lot of fun was had though, my brothers turbo GT86 attracted a lot of attention, Paul's TTS did the hairdressing duties wonderfully, and Steve's F-Type battled through brake issues and spent most his time coasting around traffic. My FN2 settled in nicely, black flagged for a loose heatshield, incorrectly identified for poor driving ;) and still requires a new set of exhaust gaskets. The new Goodyear F1 Supersports are a great arrive and drive tyre that still have good road manners, well impressed by them.

Reactions: Mugen_fd2 and Xev

·
Premium Member
2008 Civic Type R
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

The overzealous corner entry into the last chicane is shown in session 4 below.

Also, the gallery is in reverse order for some reason.

Reactions: Xev

·
Premium Member
2008 Civic Type R
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first couple of sessions are relatively boring as I was figuring out the track and navigating traffic.

·
Premium Member
2008 Civic Type R
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Exhaust heat shield trying to make an escape

·
Premium Member
2008 Civic Type R
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
2008 Civic Type R
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The one where I try to scare my brother.

·
Premium Member
2008 Civic Type R
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sliding through craners around 2 minutes in

Reactions: Mugen_fd2

·
Premium Member
2008 Civic Type R
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Definitely not me being flagged.

·
Premium Member
2008 Civic Type R
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could have done with all the sessions being more like this. I was just getting a good feel for the track and lines to take (or miss as if often the case)

·
Premium Member
2008 Civic Type R
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How fn2 compares to other cars? Especially clio/megane rs gang?
Can't compare directly as I haven't driven them but not too dissimilar performance wise. It all depends on how modified each car is. I'd say a standard FN2 would struggle to keep up with either but modified they're certainly quicker than Clio's. It's not as simple as that though, a lot of Clio's/Megane's you'll come across on track will also be modified. Plenty with cages and slicks on that you'll never touch unless you're down the same level of commitment for track preparation. Besides, driver level will mostly out do most comparisons.

The day here was difficult when it was busy due to similar power levels not allowing me to pass without other drivers letting off (which they often didn't). You need a surprising difference in power to weight to make a pass on straights. A race between mine and my brothers car for instance will not show a huge difference despite him being 40-50 bhp up and having turbo torque.

Reactions: Mugen_fd2

·
Premium Member
2008 Civic Type R
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Love Donnington and going down Craners at 110MPH+ is always fun. 😈
Great circuit, looking forward to going back and hopefully getting some clearer sessions in. Breaking 100 mph through craners is enough for me :poop::LOL: though looking back, I was hugging the left hand side too much so could gain some pace by allowing myself to move to the right after the apex.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts