2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exists for the plastic control panel a carbon paste set.

(as a sticker like)

Do not want to dismantle everything.
sorrie for my bad english

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
I don't think a pre-cut sticker exists but nothing to stop you getting some carbon-effect vinyl and wrapping it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I don't think a pre-cut sticker exists but nothing to stop you getting some carbon-effect vinyl and wrapping it.
On the topic, does anyone think it would look good if I were to carbon wrap the back like the 2014 model? I want to wrap along where the Honda logo is.

Anyone with tip on how to go about it? The back is curved, not sure how I can get it on correctly.

·
Premium Member
6,012 Posts
Anyone with tip on how to go about it? The back is curved, not sure how I can get it on correctly.
You just need to get a strip of vinyl wide enough taking into account that it's curved.

I would apply it wet so you can easily squeegee out any air bubbles,also lets you lift it up again to remove any trapped bits of dirt you might get.

Let it dry out for a bit, then very easy to trim just following the edges of the panel.

The tricky part is getting the vinyl down into the recess bit where the H badge is, you would need to just warm it slightly and work it in around the curved edges, would also mean removing the H badge.

While your at it, you should do the numberplate area black as well.:cool:

..........Ooops! just realised your thinking of carbon wrapping it...same as above tho, only you wouldn't apply it wet, just use a good carbon vinyl that has air release channels in the adhesive.:D

·
Registered
493 Posts
You just need to get a strip of vinyl wide enough taking into account that it's curved.

..........Ooops! just realised your thinking of carbon wrapping it...same as above tho, only you wouldn't apply it wet, just use a good carbon vinyl that has air release channels in the adhesive.:D
Thanks gers. My issue is that I'm not sure how to cut it. Do I cut it while the vinyl is on the car? Won't that scratch the paint?

I was thinking of just getting a pen and marking it out then cutting it on the table.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Thanks gers. My issue is that I'm not sure how to cut it. Do I cut it while the vinyl is on the car? Won't that scratch the paint?

I was thinking of just getting a pen and marking it out then cutting it on the table.
watch this episode of mighty car mods:

i know its for hood stripes, but the knifeless tape they use works just the same

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
You do not want to dismantle the tailgate lower back panel. It is held on by heaps of special clips which are a pain to remove without breaking. The broken bits of the clip will fall into the tailgate cavity (and rattle around) which means you have to remove the interior trim panels to get to them. I know this as I have done it before to install the OEM camera kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,012 Posts
:D

You could take measurements and try cutting a piece, but I would be surprised if you got the fit perfect first time.;)

The only bits you would be cutting on the car for that panel would be the 2 ends cuts, the top and bottom cut you would just push the blade through the vinyl and use the side of the blade held tight against the bottom of the window, that would leave you with a few millimeters to fold around the edge, same at the bottom

You need to use a really sharp blade and a very light pressure, usually just the weight of the knife itself is enough, but yeah there's always a chance of marking the paint if your not used to cutting vinyl.

What you can do though as a safeguard, is put a couple of strips of masking tape down first along the cut line, cut the vinyl then remove the tape.:D

·
Registered
493 Posts
watch this episode of mighty car mods:

i know its for hood stripes, but the knifeless tape they use works just the same
I have seen this episode before and I completely forgot about the knifeless tape!... Wait I remember now, knifeless tape is extremely expensive the last time I saw on eBay. But I guess it's the only way to easily cut the vinyl from underneath.

:DYou could take measurements and try cutting a piece, but I would be surprised if you got the fit perfect first time.;)

What you can do though as a safeguard, is put a couple of strips of masking tape down first along the cut line, cut the vinyl then remove the tape.:D
I'll try the knifeless tape idea first see how it will work out!

Does anyone know which direction the carbon grains are supposed to be facing?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts