2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So i was cleaning my interior today when i noticed my Sills were looking a bit rough. It looked like there was rust forming, along with a plastic film starting to look a bit tatty / peeling around the edge.

So, i decided to pull the sill off and pick the plastic film off, to my surprise - no rust underneath, but one hell of a job to get the plastic film all off + the glue.(Only done the drivers side)

My only options now are to either do the same to the other one and keep them as they are (Maybe coat them in something?):facepalm:

or buy replacement sills.

my car is a 57 plate, but i only found these . How hard are these to fit? (Mine are just standard metal ones with no illumination)

Not sure what to do to be honest, guess i'll start looking for standard replacement ones incase..:facepalm:

Any ideas? :popcorn2:

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Mine are rusted too mate. I've heard conflicing advice too. The local body shop said they would need replacing and wouldn't clean up. Forum members have said that something called Tardis will shift the glue stuff from the plastic but I genuinely have no idea how to move the rust stuff. Don't fancy paying £20 for door sills like!

·
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
or maybe i dont quite understand?

sent from my phone
You could be right...

I originally thought it was one which should have been removed. But with it being so well stuck i thought maybe not?

when i pulled the sill off (with the plastic surround) the little tabs which are folded around the plastic frame seem to also have the film on too, so im not sure.

Anyway, i wouldn't recommend anyone trying to peel it off on their cars to see if they have one, because if its like mine it's a nightmare & will look a mess without plenty of cleaning.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Hey guys,

So i was cleaning my interior today when i noticed my Sills were looking a bit rough. It looked like there was rust forming, along with a plastic film starting to look a bit tatty / peeling around the edge.

So, i decided to pull the sill off and pick the plastic film off, to my surprise - no rust underneath, but one hell of a job to get the plastic film all off + the glue.(Only done the drivers side)

My only options now are to either do the same to the other one and keep them as they are (Maybe coat them in something?):facepalm:

my car is a 57 plate, but i only found these . How hard are these to fit? (Mine are just standard metal ones with no illumination)

Not sure what to do to be honest, guess i'll start looking for standard replacement ones incase..:facepalm:

I feel your pain.Did the same to mine.I think your supposed to leave the film on?I pulled the drivers side one off as well because the wife noticed a bit of rust.Been gutted ever since.Looking for replacements myself but to no avail.Think they are sold in pairs?was going to look on ebay and see if there is type r breaking!good luck in your quest.let us know how you get on?

·
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I feel your pain.Did the same to mine.I think your supposed to leave the film on?I pulled the drivers side one off as well because the wife noticed a bit of rust.Been gutted ever since.Looking for replacements myself but to no avail.Think they are sold in pairs?was going to look on ebay and see if there is type r breaking!good luck in your quest.let us know how you get on?
There is a type R for breaking on eBay if you want to try.. here.

I wont bother buying any yet i don't think, going to do the other side & see how i get on. Not sure if i will do both & see how they look, keep on top of cleaning them.

Got 2 new tyres to get first, before i buy anything else. :(

·
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Been thinking about this and have one amazing question?

How can you have rust on these as they are alloy or stainless steel and neither metal rusts?
Funny enough, my dad said the same when i told him.. lol.

I actually thought the same when i took a closer look at them, but the spots were orangy/rusty looking. My bad!

..:facepalm3:

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
There is a type R for breaking on eBay if you want to try.. here.

I wont bother buying any yet i don't think, going to do the other side & see how i get on. Not sure if i will do both & see how they look, keep on top of cleaning them.

Got 2 new tyres to get first, before i buy anything else. :(

Cheers for that Bizzie, will send them an email.Wonder how hard they are to remove and replace.I too have more important things first like brake discs and pads(just bought some from Cazza)so will fit them first.Thanks again.:)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hey guys,

Hello

Fitted some of those Expensive but Nice...................................

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/type-r/37020-illuminated-sills-mmm-3.html

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I had this on the drivers side too. Removed the plastic (left it on on the passenger side) and cleaned it up but still a bit of the rusty stuff there. A good tip for cleaning brushed metal parts like this is to use Johnsons Baby Oil, don't ask me why but it works really well! My missus uses it on stainless cooker hood and the like.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
I had exactly the same problem. I removed the clear plastic covering after it had been there for what must have been 3 years. The finish on the sills were wrecked as a result and I couldn't restore them. So, eBay was my friend, I managed to get a second hand set for £17, popped the old ones off and clipped these on. Job done! :popcorn::popcorn:

·
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had exactly the same problem. I removed the clear plastic covering after it had been there for what must have been 3 years. The finish on the sills were wrecked as a result and I couldn't restore them. So, eBay was my friend, I managed to get a second hand set for £17, popped the old ones off and clipped these on. Job done! :popcorn::popcorn:
If i see a pair for anywhere near that price, i'll be getting a new set too i think.

The ''Type R'' wording is slightly patchy i have noticed since removing the film.

Might give it a while still yet, some more cleaning and try the passenger side too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts