2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at replacing the speakers in the car, probably starting with the door speakers. Not looking for massive gains in volume more quality than anything as I think the OEM ones sound really tinny.

How easy are the door speakers to replace (do you have to take the door cards off)?

Will the amp in the head unit suffice with just an upgrade on speakers, or should I get a seperate amp. I know this would be a pain as the whole dash has to come off to get to the head unit!

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
upgraded speakers and dynamatting the doors will make a difference. Amping it would be better though. depends how far you want to take it..

i think a lot of people use infinity speakers as they fit and give a reasonable sound. Definately sound deaden the doors though while you are at it.

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
Regarding amps and quality; there really is no comparison between internal amps and a good 4 ch external amp. External amps are far superior, even compared to the internal amp of a high end Alpine HU.

I'm still running the stock setup in mine ATM as I find myself not listening to music in the FN2 (induction roar is all I need :p). But in the past the setup I was most pleased with was:

Alpine HU (int. amp off)
Rockford Punch 4ch amp
Focal PolyKevlar 165K2 2-way components (wonderful speakers)
Active sub for a small low-end boost

Focal's ain't cheap but if your keeping the car they're worth every penny.

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
I'm using focals in my fn2 and your right they are great.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

·
Reasonable Tenor voice
617 Posts
I was surprised by how much having the door sound insulated makes. In 2006 I had a Prelude and put in an Alpine head unit, and Sub plus 6 new speakers, main and tweeter. But I remained dissatisfied by the sound quality, considering I did spent nearly £1000. Then I had the doors dynamatted, and the sound was transformed. In my view it is not worth investing in any car audio with out this modification.

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
^^ agreed. FN2 door are really thin, too. If I ever do an install I'll deffo use accoustic damping stuff.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I installed some infinity in mine with a 2channel amp and a fly 12" sub... it really makes a huge difference.

However was thinking of doing some dynamate... do I need to do the whole door or just the speaker wells?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts