2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Boost Time...
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello FN2 owners, have anyone experienced not being able to open the passenger door? I know we have had a few harsh frosts and low temps recently, but never had a prob until this morning.
Taken it for a drive and blasted the heaters just in case it might be cold related but no luck, pulling and pushing still unable to open, all fine last night when used the car, strange one this, and god knows how to access the mechanism if it does not free itself

Any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers Jonno

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
Probably a silly question but is the door actually unlocking and the catch opening?

I've heard of some cases recently where one or two doors won't unlock.

Or is it just a case of the door is frozen shut?

·
Boost Time...
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably a silly question but is the door actually unlocking and the catch opening?

I've heard of some cases recently where one or two doors won't unlock.

Or is it just a case of the door is frozen shut?

It seems the interior lock switch opens and closes when the fob is pressed but it dont sound as crisp (if that makes sense) compared to the drivers door, and does not seem to have "harsh" click at the handle on the outside.

And yes it may just be frozen, but never had any issues with harsh weather before, but there is always a first......

·
Boost Time...
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry if this sounds patronising but I take it you have tried the to open it from inside and out?

Sure have, pulled and pushed but still no movement....

·
Premium Member
6,766 Posts
My EP3 lock mechanism in the drivers door froze a few years back. The FN2 hasn't done it yet but I'd assume it'll be susceptible under the same conditions.

·
Boost Time...
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My EP3 lock mechanism in the drivers door froze a few years back. The FN2 hasn't done it yet but I'd assume it'll be susceptible under the same conditions.

Was it an easy fix and how did you get door open to repair?

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
It seems the interior lock switch opens and closes when the fob is pressed but it dont sound as crisp (if that makes sense) compared to the drivers door, and does not seem to have "harsh" click at the handle on the outside.

And yes it may just be frozen, but never had any issues with harsh weather before, but there is always a first......
As Loxy said, sounds like the locking actuator may be frozen or sticking.

How you'd remove the door card without opening the door though, I don't know :(

I doubt the doors frozen shut as it would seem strange that the passenger door is completely solid while you managed to open the driver door no problem.

·
Premium Member
6,766 Posts
I was on the way to the dealers, massive bang from the door like someone had thrown a rock at me. I pulled over and the door opened again.

With the roads being bad it had taken me about 45 minutes to get where I was, so it had taken that long with the heaters on to thaw it out.

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
this is why 5 door fn2 ftw . i have heard how fragile the front door handles are . so when i found out the front doors were froze shut and i could see the front door handles bending when pulling it what i did is open the back doors (as back door handles are more sturdy) and open the front doors from inside :)

·
Boost Time...
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At the moment it's booked into Honda dealer on Thursday afternoon which is gonna be expensive, especially if they have to trash the door card to get to it. Just hope that it frees itself somehow beforehand :mad:

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
No chance of getting a heater/hairdyer going for a while to just remove any chance of it being frozen? Might be a bit tedious having to sit there directing it down the window but may save you a few quid compared to a demolished door card...

·
Boost Time...
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I virtually I got the door card off just the last bit by the dash, may have to snap a small piece to get it fully off time will tell. Looking inside it looks like the mechanism is not physically disengaging the actual lock, seems loose but still not managed to get door open, so may still need Honda with right tools to do last bit, will see what they say on Thursday...

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Well, I virtually I got the door card off just the last bit by the dash, may have to snap a small piece to get it fully off time will tell. Looking inside it looks like the mechanism is not physically disengaging the actual lock, seems loose but still not managed to get door open, so may still need Honda with right tools to do last bit, will see what they say on Thursday...
Can't you pay a locksmith/the aa to use their special tools to unlock the door?? Surely that would be cheaper than destroying the door card?? As they can use their wire thing to go between the widow/door to open it, then you can get the door card off and have a good look

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Or since you have the door card half off, move the passenger seat right forward climb in the back and try and unlock the door by putting your arm up behind the door card??

·
more torque than the mrs
6,793 Posts
ahh had this happen on the first civic i owned i had to have a new passenger door handle something to do with it coming loose inside, mine wouldn't open from the inside either and honda said they would have to damage the door card to gain access but lucky for me it somehow opened so keep trying it and give your car a violent shake might help.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I had to remove the drivers door handle from the whole door and fix the cover, but when replacing it, I didn't do something properly and the door wouldn't open from the inside or out and managed to prise the door card away enough to get my arm in with the door fully shut. but just had to bend some bits back and there are a couple of scratches to the rear pillar.

sorry to say that I don't know what your problem could be but if you have the confidence then I would suggest trying to carfully remove the door card after opening the door and take out the whole handle unit and strip it down/ rebuild it and put it back together, I it still doesn't work then Honda are going to look at it anyway so no harm in my eyes :)

I used a how to already on the forum on removal of them !!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.