2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 6 months of toil, effort, and frustration, here we are.

You don't want to know how much cost and effort this was, buy my god it looks fantastic and works brilliantly.

So, to answer your questions:

1. My car is a Type S GT and not only are all the heater controls still working, so is the dual heater control also.
2. The steering wheel controls all work, including the channel changing and holding down controls to skip whole albums in MP3 mode
3. It's a Kenwood flip down head unit with MP3, DVD, Video CD, DAB* (see later), aux video, tuner and the bluetooth head unit
4. I'm using the Kenwood bluetooth hands free as the Honda one is an utter POS
5. The LCD still works but naturally the radio station names or track names do not appear (but nothing spurious appears either)
6. I have also got an external DAB receiver BUT there is no obvious place for the aerial. The small area of metal roof is full of mechanisms that make fitting a DAB aerial there impossible and the quality of the glass mounted and internal window aerials is pants.
7. It looks and sounds amazing.

There you go. The company who did all the work couldn't believe how tricky this was but the quality of their effort is outstanding. They're called Huets and I can't imagine many other companies would be able to do what they did - and I'll go into detail if you are curious.

Whew!

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
and I'll go into detail if you are curious.
:) Very nice!

Did they have to "hide away" the original radio?
Where did they mount the amp?
Did they have to splice into the loom to use the steering wheel controls, or was it by cunning CANBUS work?
Do you have a sub?
Where did the fascia adapter come from?

Maybe more as I think of them...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:) Very nice!

Did they have to "hide away" the original radio?
Yes. It's in my boot in a cute little box which is carpet matched to the boot area, so you don't know it's there.
Where did they mount the amp?
Don't know :oops:
Did they have to splice into the loom to use the steering wheel controls, or was it by cunning CANBUS work?
They had a generic Honda steering wheel control adaptor thingy which they butchered for my head unit.
Do you have a sub?
No
Where did the fascia adapter come from?
Honda themselves. I got the part numbers from this forum!
Maybe more as I think of them...
Fire away!

You can help return the favour by letting me know the latest state of play with chipping support. :)

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
ok tell us. How much it cost you in total?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
£2000, which breaks down to the :

Facia £200
Head Unit £700
External HD based navigation unit £400
Bluetooth unit £75
Wiring £75
+ lots of man hours to put it in!

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
No tell us more about the steering controls!!!!

You say they modified a generic Honda Unit for your head unit. Would love to know if this just means they needed to make a new connection block or if they needed to completely re-work the thing.

·
Registered
712 Posts
..snip..

There you go. The company who did all the work couldn't believe how tricky this was but the quality of their effort is outstanding. They're called Huets and I can't imagine many other companies would be able to do what they did - and I'll go into detail if you are curious.

Whew!
Nice install, looks good. Not sure why you have an issue with DAB ariels, I have an Acoustic Soultions ICS100 DAB tuner as an addition and use the supplied glass mount ariel and have no reception issues at all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looks very nice, 1 Question if and when you sell the car what is the plan can it be removed easiley or will you have to sell with the car?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All can be put back to normal - that was a stipulation of the work.

On the steering wheel controls, not sure. I've used those DAB aerials before and they are very weedy - but I might have no choice :(

·
Registered
94 Posts
This is great, would love to do this as, although I am still pleased with my much upgraded system running from the original head unit, an aftermarket would improve things enormously. However, can I justify £200 for the Facia.......?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you're even questioning the facia, don't even think about it. The job involved in repositioning the original head unit is immense and the facia cost is a drop in the ocean compared to everything else. You can fit it behind the dash if you have the normal climate, but if you have the dual control, it has to go elsewhere in the car altogether (in my case, the boot).

As for the steering wheel controls, I've no idea. If you live in the South, book your car in with Huets and they'll do it for you.

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
It looks the muts mate i wish i could afford 2k on a hifi

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Remember I didn't go for the Nav option when buying that car from new so take off the cost of that upgrade when working out 'real world' price.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No aftermarket doors and speakers - purpose behind the work was that I wanted a proper navi system far in advance of the frankly ordinary Honda unit, hence me not buying that from scratch.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts