2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've recently bought a Civic and I'm looking to fit a double din head unit.

My requirements are:

*DAB
*Connect my Android phone and mirror the screen for sat nav
*Play tracks from a USB flashdrive

I'd also prefer a decent resolution capacitive touchscreen screen, but most seem to be resistive. I was in Halfords and the screen on the Pioneer app radio 4 (DA120) looked very nice and was responsive, whereas the screen on the Kenwood 4025DAB looked cheap and nasty. Unfortunately, the app radio 4 doesn't have DAB and from what I can tell, is aimed at Apple rather than android anyway.

The head unit which is interesting me most at the moment is the newly released Kenwood DDX-5015DAB. I'm interested in unit because it has DAB and Android mirroring which works using miracast and an optional Dongle.

Because the unit is so new I can't find any reviews or videos and nowhere seems to have any to demo. The Kenwood unit I viewed in Halfords had a terrible screen so I would prefer to try before I buy rather than buy it and be disappointed.

Can anybody recommended a double din upto £400? I'd consider an Android unit, but non seem to have DAB.

Also, Halfords quoted me £29.99 for fitting a double din but wanted an additional £230 for accessories like the fascia, steering wheel control stuff etc. They said I maybe able to source these myself to save money. Can somebody confirm this kit (Inc patch lead) is all I need to fit a double din into my Civic? My car is 2008 type S.

C2 Civic Full Kit RHD

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. That looks very similar to the fitting kit I linked but slightly more expensive.

Are you planning on fitting the unit yourself?

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Yer, I will be fitting it myself.

I might do a step by step and post it on this forum. Fingers Xed it all goes well.

Total spend for this project is £330.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
There is a very good step by step guide on the forum somewhere and a good video on youtube, I'm looking to do this as well and I will be interested to see where you mount the dab antenna

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a very good step by step guide on the forum somewhere and a good video on youtube, I'm looking to do this as well and I will be interested to see where you mount the dab antenna
Any links mate?
Yer, I will be fitting it myself.

I might do a step by step and post it on this forum. Fingers Xed it all goes well.

Total spend for this project is £330.
Sounds good. Best of luck with it and a step by step guide would be fantastic.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts

Yer I've seen the step by step on here, I'm wanting to do a more in depth guide, like showing the plugs ect. As this was hard for me to find out while doing my research.

I would like to think that my guide will help someone else, as my experience of looking into this opened up a whole can of worms. LOL

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yer I've seen the step by step on here, I'm wanting to do a more in depth guide, like showing the plugs ect. As this was hard for me to find out while doing my research.

I would like to think that my guide will help someone else, as my experience of looking into this opened up a whole can of worms. LOL
I would really appreciate a dummies guide mate

I know nothing about installing stereos. I know I need a patch lead but I don't even know what a patch lead does. A step by step guide showing the connectors would be brilliant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A step by step guide would be great, I've struggled to find a guide that tells me everything so I'm just going to do what I know and figure the rest out next week some time..

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

Fitted mine today.

I've still got to route the microphone and USB extention cable. They're both routed to the footwell at the moment. Rather than stick the DAB antenna to the windscreen, I've put it below the panel at the top of the dashboard. The reception seems fine, but I've only tried it on my driveway so far.

My non genuine fascia adapter isn't sitting quite right. I'll have to sort it out another day as it's a dull day in Manchester and fairly dark.

Scottyjm I used this guide by x5252x. It does tell you how to wire up the headunit but it's self explanatory as the connectors are all different sizes and only fit into the correct locations.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts

Fitted mine today.

I've still got to route the microphone and USB extention cable. They're both routed to the footwell at the moment. Rather than stick the DAB antenna to the windscreen, I've put it below the panel at the top of the dashboard. The reception seems fine, but I've only tried it on my driveway so far.

My non genuine fascia adapter isn't sitting quite right. I'll have to sort it out another day as it's a dull day in Manchester and fairly dark.

Scottyjm I used this guide by x5252x. It does tell you how to wire up the headunit but it's self explanatory as the connectors are all different sizes and only fit into the correct locations.
If the fascia problem is that it's not sitting flush on the bottom left you may need to cut slightly more plastic away on the inside. I had this issue and just needed to be a touch braver with removing the plastic lip inside of the dash.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts