2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I had a 2007 1.8 EX for a number of years. Loved it.
Yesterday I picked up a very clean 2009 Type R GT. I have given the 1.8 EX to my wife (We are now a 2 Civic family! :smile3:)

Anyway, I am severely missing the reversing camera I had installed in the EX. The Type R has no sat nav so I will need the screen also.
I am planning to swap in a double din head unit with this (I seen on the wiki): https://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/ProductItem/CTKHD01

I am happy enough with the details I have found about installing that so basically I am just looking for head unit recommendations.
In and around £200 would be my budget for the head unit.
I am not really concerned about sat nav but Bluetooth is a must and obviously an input for reversing camera.
Has anyone any experience with the Android units with Wifi? I really like the idea of Spotify or internet radio while driving.
Would those Android units work with the steering wheel controls or would I need a more conventional head unit.
Is there specific units that will and won't work with the existing steering wheel controls?

Thanks in advance, Sean.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Hi buddy, I've got a Android 7inch kit kat 4.4 head unit and it works a charm. At 18months old now it's behind on the times now compared to what u can get now for £200. Just have a look on amazon and/or ebay.

Mine has Wifi which I can pair up to my phone with 4g Internet access for music and film streaming, but I also have a 3g usb dongle attached to a spare sim card I have for basic updates on the move or sat nav routes on the go.

The whole unit pairs up beautifully with the steering wheel controls. In the units settings u can programme what u want each button to do.

At £200 your probably not going to be able to get a Kenwood or named major brand, but that's no problem as if u compare the functionality of the Android units which are half the price, they offer loads more bang for buck.

I for 1 have no major difficulties with reliability. Yes it crashes once in a blue moon but just needs the simple off then on method to fix. It's fairly out of date now as RAM and processors have come along way in the 2 years since mine was made. I'm happily going to replace it with another more up to date model again for only £200.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for this.
I did get a bit ahead of myself window shopping online when I originally posted and instead of waiting for some recommendations I went ahead and bought a Kenwood DDX5016DAB.
It does screen mirroring though with my Android phone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts