2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

Hope you can help me out!

I'm hopefully (barring any finance issues) picking up a 08 ES on Saturday. Looking forward to getting it modded to my needs but one thing is confusing me ATM. I currently have a Sony hu in my current ford focus that I'm happy with (has iPhone connectivity and Bluetooth, two most important things for me) but the issue is I dont know whether to bring it over to the new car.

As far as I can work out, I could mod using double din kit but that would cost around £250. That would mean I could keep the existing stereo. I don't know if the leads supplied with the din kit could make the sony respond to steering wheel controls though.

The other option seems to be a parrot system that would extend the current system, and would cost around £200 as far as I can see. But would this simply slot in to the hu?

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Ryan

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks @crowmar, got an email back from impulse with lots of info. It's starting to look like the Double Din is a bit too pricey for me ATM so will prob go for the Parrot, at least in the short term!

Thanks again for the help

Ryan

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
I currently have a Sony hu in my current ford focus that I'm happy with (has iPhone connectivity and Bluetooth, two most important things for me) but the issue is I dont know whether to bring it over to the new car.

As far as I can work out, I could mod using double din kit but that would cost around £250.

The kit from impulse will be about £180-200 from what I remember, that includes the double din fascia, aerial patch lead for your Sony, DDin cage & trim, plus the Impulse adaptor interface. If your Sony is a single din unit then you can get a DDin pocket to fit in the facia which holds a single din, not expensive

That would mean I could keep the existing stereo. I don't know if the leads supplied with the din kit could make the sony respond to steering wheel controls though.

If your Sony HU is steering wheel control compatible SWRC (should say on Sony box) then the Impulse adaptor will integrate the Honda contols to work with your HU. You'd need to tell Impulse Watford what HU you're going to use their adaptor with so they can send you the right one.

The other option seems to be a parrot system that would extend the current system, and would cost around £200 as far as I can see. But would this simply slot in to the hu?

It would be connected inbetween the Honda HU and the car so the Parrot can mute the Radio upon an incomming call. I wired up the Parrot Mki9200 before wiring my DDin, its a good kit (especially with the updated firmware) but if you're used to the Sony then I'd be inclined to stick with that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@statictony - here is the email from Impulse:

Hi Ryan,
The Civic conversion kit is £210 with a Sony patch lead. The kit also allows the retention of the aircon displays and clock among other things. This is the info we normally send out:
Our Civic adaptor will allow:

Removal of the OEM radio

Retention of the aircon display

Steering wheel remote control (SWRC) interface

Retention of the dash clock which can be adjusted via the SWRC

The clock illumination dims when headlight switched on

Relatively easy installation

Separate patch leads for different makes of head unit: Pioneer, Panasonic, Kenwood, Alpine, Clarion, Sony, JVC and Blaupunkt.

Price is £60 including UK delivery and a head unit patch lead

Other parts you will require are a Honda double DIN panel, 103mm cage kit and an antenna adaptor.

Total kit price including our adaptor: £210 plus £10 UK courier delivery.

If you wish to purchase any of these items, we will send you a Paypal invoice.

Regards

Bob
@laney thanks for the info. I think I'm leaning toward the Parrot if only because I could then sell the Sony HU to recoup some of the cost of the Parrot kit; couldn't do that if I get the Double DIN setup. The Sony is good but it's not like it was a massive investment (cost around 150 I think) and the stock Civic HU seems to be a relatively good bit of kit in comparison to the rubbish Ford chuck into their low spec models. I also like the idea of having the little screen showing the info - the Sony never shows calls properly!

Thanks again for all the help!

Ryan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts