2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

My knowledge of cars is very limited and just after some advice as looking on the net seems to be a minefield. We have a 2012 Honda Civic 2.2 I-DTEC ex 102k miles and fully serviced and it showed the DPF light over a month ago and there is just hardly any power if you go over 2k rpm as DPF light constantly on now.

Read up the DPF as didn't know anything about them. We only do about 12 miles a day in the car and all windy roads so it doesn't get a good run although i now know to take it out for a good 30 mins run nonstop and drive it about 70 in 4th so as to heat it up properly.

The DPF light came on about a month ago so took it too Honda Dealership as we couldnt force a regen. £140 later and they said they had forced a regen and the error light should now stay off as long as we keep to the routine of taking it out for a long drive once a fortnight. They did mention that one of the glow plugs needed replacing also.

Well, the light stayed off for 3 weeks and i had given it a good long drive 2 weeks ago so instead of wasting money going to honda garage i thought to look up about having DPF cleaned instead as this may remedy it. Found 'Terraclean' and a garage just round the corner from work who would do this. Took the car in yesterday and just paid for a full diagnostic £30 (which i thought was pretty reasonable). The mechanic said that the only error the car was showing was that a glow plug on bank 4 had failed and that would probably stop the car from forcing a regen.

He advised that it would be best to replace all the glowplugs £164 inc labour. So, my question is as this was the only error that the car was showing...would the glow plugs affect the DPF and give the DPF warning light?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hmm, on my Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI the vehicle couldn't go into DPF regen due to bad glow plugs. As they use the glow plugs to do a regen.

You can only get the car to regen by doing a forced one with a computer scan tool.

I also advise you into looking to replace this vehicle for a petrol model. You need to do more mileage to warrant a diesel, or opt for a non-DPF model. In the long run it'll cost you more in repairs to keep a diesel than you will on the bit extra on petrol. If you want a newer model I advise a Toyota Hybrid model vehicle, they'll do diesel MPG without having to do high mileage due to DPF's.

The short journeys will eventually just clog the DPF and you'll need to buy a replacement.

I believe the DPF's came in on Civic's around 2011-2012.

Also your model is the 9th generation 2012-2016.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I would agree with previous poster that the car would not regen with a bad glow plug and is most likely gave the DPF issue . Get them changed and see how it goes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello Lukey96, My Civic DTEC has just developed the same issues that you have described. Did you get your car fixed, was it just the glow plugs & how much money did it set you back? Cheers

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hello Lukey96, My Civic DTEC has just developed the same issues that you have described. Did you get your car fixed, was it just the glow plugs & how much money did it set you back? Cheers
Nah, the car ended up getting written off and I sold it as an insurance write off.

You should experience rough cold starts if you have bad glow plugs. On cold the engine will run rough almost like it has a misfire, but be fine once its warmed up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nah, the car ended up getting written off and I sold it as an insurance write off.

You should experience rough cold starts if you have bad glow plugs. On cold the engine will run rough almost like it has a misfire, but be fine once its warmed up.
Thanks for the reply 👍 I have no start up problems only loss of power @ 2000RPM & DPF warning symbol. I think I will get DPF Cleaned by a call out firm as first resort!

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,267 Posts
Thanks for the reply 👍 I have no start up problems only loss of power @ 2000RPM & DPF warning symbol. I think I will get DPF Cleaned by a call out firm as first resort!
What sort of mileage are you doing... No point having a car with a DPF if you hardly do any miles.

·
Registered
180 Posts
What sort of mileage are you doing... No point having a car with a DPF if you hardly do any miles.
Cleaning the DPF will help but you are correct that the car needs to be at a certain temp to kick it off. A forced regen is required to remove the DPF error which is causing the loss of power to protect the engine.

Is this the 2.2 or 1.6 engine?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts