2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an HDS cable, got and old laptop runing with winxp and Honda HDS software to get to know a bit more about the DPF in my 1.6 i-DTEC.
With HDS it's possible to check the level of dirt and force cleaning if necessary. I've been through the program scouring the options and in about 130 kms it holds 1.5 g of dirt on the filter (or particule matter - PM, how they call it).

I will be posting screenshots to show you how it's going. It will be nice to see when the automatic cleaning ocurs (how dirty the filter is and the mileage between regeneration).

Here's the link for the cable: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-For-Honda-HDS-Cable-OBD2-Diagnostic-Cable-Free-Shipping-A-Must-Have-Tool/322811302857?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another check to the DPF, after a few more kilometers since the last automatic regeneration. After 262 kms, we have 3.6 g of PM (particulate matter) in the DPF.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Will be interesting to see how far you travel between regens and over what time

I am completely in the dark at the moment about my dpf, just assuming it passive regens when it needs to but there is no real indication of it happening.

I have read that the range dropping suddenly can indicate it but the range meter on mine jumps up and down quite a bit as you are getting better/worse economy.

When it goes in for service I might ask them to give me some details of frequency of regens if it's possible to get that from the log

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I have the time, I'll be taking a look if HDS can retrieve past regen logs. Didn't remembered that. Good point.

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
Out of intrest, which HDS cable did you purchase? I have a generic read only one, but I'd like to get one with the more recent software for better 9G compatibility.

·
Registered
129 Posts
When I have the time, I'll be taking a look if HDS can retrieve past regen logs. Didn't remembered that. Good point.

Olá Joooe!

I'm wondering if the Honda HDS software you're using has some sort of throttle position reset available.
I've read in the workshop manual of my 8gen that, being electronic, a throttle body cleaning should always be followed by TP reset.

The only piece of hardware that granted this (other than going to the dealership) is something like 170 US dollars. But this cable you bought appears to be at a much more reasonable price.
Have you found that in the software, perhaps? Could make me consider buying a unit for myself...

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Olá Joooe!

I'm wondering if the Honda HDS software you're using has some sort of throttle position reset available.
I've read in the workshop manual of my 8gen that, being electronic, a throttle body cleaning should always be followed by TP reset.

The only piece of hardware that granted this (other than going to the dealership) is something like 170 US dollars. But this cable you bought appears to be at a much more reasonable price.
Have you found that in the software, perhaps? Could make me consider buying a unit for myself...
I'm almost certain that the HDS software has this option. But I'm going to check this and get back to you. :wink3:

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And a regen has happened!
It seems it has started at around 500 km since the last one. That or 10 g of particule matter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Cheers for that. What sort of driving do you do out of interest, mainly motorway, town or mixture?

500km is about 300 miles which rallies with standard guidance for regens. Presumably you had no idea it happened other than the log 🙂

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Hi joooe, I've ordered the same HDS cable as you linked, any chance you could advise me on the software? Thanks in anticipation.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Cheers joooe, once my dongle arrives I'll let everyone know how I get on. Now I need to pick the best laptop for the job (working in IT I have lots of old laptops to pick from!) :wink3:

1 - 20 of 149 Posts