2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
401 - 410 of 410 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Civic Tourer 1.6 D-TEC (60.000km-37000mi)
46 Posts
I see that even if you do very long highway trips (1000/1500km continuous) it is impossible to go below 8 grams of particulate with passive regens.
So you simply float around 9-10 grams with long trips and short commute usage. If you pass the 12 grams limit active regen starts itself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just witnessed my first regen in action via the OBD tool. The car didn't fancy doing it while I was on the motorway for an hour but decided the perfect time was while I was 5 minutes from home sat in the McDonald's drive through :ROFLMAO:

Thankfully it managed to finish by the time I got home 🍔

Was quite fun to see the PM value drop in real time though

Font Screenshot Software Darkness Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
170 Posts
5000 km after last regen is fine, if you do a lot of highway you could ever not seen any active regen at all, it happens to me the same, about 4000 kms without active regen and DPF particulate floating at around 8-10 grams. After high speed trips particulate goes down a little bit to 8, then goes up in city trips a bit to 9-10, then goes down on highway again... At high loads it simply passive regen the filter maintaining it at 8-10 grams of particulate. Remember the car start active regen at about 12 grams, if it never reach 12 grams it would never start an active regen.
The last time i checked HDS before removing my Bluespark box it was over 6000km. Within a week of driving (under 400miles) with the box removed i had a successful regen and have had another since then. My driving style has not changed since removing and i am still doing the same mileage per week.

I am wondering if having the box fitted on it's highest setting (E7) runs the engine and exhaust hotter thus burning off the soot while in motion?

·
Registered
72 Posts
The last time i checked HDS before removing my Bluespark box it was over 6000km. Within a week of driving (under 400miles) with the box removed i had a successful regen and have had another since then. My driving style has not changed since removing and i am still doing the same mileage per week.

I am wondering if having the box fitted on it's highest setting (E7) runs the engine and exhaust hotter thus burning off the soot while in motion?
so this means remap's and boxes are better for the car?

I also have a remap on my car. Since i've done the remap I've notice it makes more kms without making a regen.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just finished a 3000 km journey, mainly on highway (1.6 D-Tec Tourer), I always use the ODBII adapter to monitor the particulate in the filter real time.
Thanks a lot again to Igor for helping us with ODB codes.
I start the journey with a just regened filter with a 1 gram of particulate. I could confirm that particulate raised slowly on the first 4-500 km of highway to 7-8 grams. Then for other 2500 km stays steady around 7-8 grams. Raising a bit if I do short trips, and then going down to about 7 grams after high speed highway. Travelling at 90 or 130 km/h doesn't make difference, if filter is hot enough particulate doesn't not increase. The moment the particulate increase is at cold start, then if you warm it enough it will goes down again. I could confirm that active regen will happen only if you do frequenty short trips, if you make long trips the filter will not require an active regen.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just finished a 3000 km journey, mainly on highway (1.6 D-Tec Tourer), I always use the ODBII adapter to monitor the particulate in the filter real time.
Thanks a lot again to Igor for helping us with ODB codes.
I start the journey with a just regened filter with a 1 gram of particulate. I could confirm that particulate raised slowly on the first 4-500 km of highway to 7-8 grams. Then for other 2500 km stays steady around 7-8 grams. Raising a bit if I do short trips, and then going down to about 7 grams after high speed highway. Travelling at 90 or 130 km/h doesn't make difference, if filter is hot enough particulate doesn't not increase. The moment the particulate increase is at cold start, then if you warm it enough it will goes down again. I could confirm that active regen will happen only if you do frequenty short trips, if you make long trips the filter will not require an active regen.
Which dongle do you use in your car? And are you using Torque or another app?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Which dongle do you use in your car? And are you using Torque or another app?

I used the 2$ adapter from aliexpress I show in post #396. You see also the seller name in the photos.
It's a very thin adapter with a transparent blue case. It works very well, only notice that is always powered, so It is better not to leave many days connected with car parked, maybe it could drain the battery.
I used torque pro that has the useful function to make a dial floating over other apps, so you could use you GPS navigation app (gmaps, waze, tomtom...) with a tiny dial overlay showing the particulate real time. You have to long press the dial an tap "make floating widget". This works for only 1 dial sadly.
There is a specific plugin for torque (Torque dashboard) to create a overlay dashboard if you want to monitor more than one parameter, maybe also ECG temperature or differential pressure, but I can't make it work, dials remain without data using this plugin.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Many thanks!

(y)
It would be great if it could be shown on the cars screen instead of using a mobile phone but I'm guessing its not possible.

I'll check out the dongle too

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think that warning the users that their DPF is filling and car is regenerating filter will scare and confuse many drivers that simply don't understand or are unaware they have a DPF in their car. So manufactures hide these useful informations.
Result: first time I used my car for a lot of short city trips I have the DPF light on, limp mode, and I have to do a forced regen with HDS and cable. The car goes straight down to limp mode without any other warning and requiring a forced regen. Shutting off the car in the middle of a forced regen is a bad idea, but there is no clear warning that this is happening from honda. All manufacturers do the same, average driver have to be "protected" from misleading informations like these....

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
With regard to regen, are there issues if engine is stopped mid regen, I ask because I had a insignia briefly whilst saving for my 9th gen and if you turned off engine mid regen it would dump fuel(diesel) in the sump causing the pick up seal to go brittle and ultimately taking out bottom end of engine, I fitted a blue neon into the door mirror and led was in the tweeter speaker as the insignia turned window and mirror heaters on so the LED would light up when this happened to tell me that regen was occuring, I wondered if that was the case with civic 9thGen I could do the same if it was a similar system whereby the mirror heaters were turned on during regen

401 - 410 of 410 Posts