2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi newby here so please be gentle.
I have located the dreaded parasitic drain on my 2006 honda civic, it's the alarm or back up alarm, which I do not understand.
I have now removed the back up fuse from under the bonnet, connected the multimeter up and it is not showing a drain/draw of any kind. Could I leave this fuse out and not have an alarm or is it recommended to get it fixed,or would it have a knock on effect, ie the audio controls won't work whether this is true or not I don't know just what I've heard.
I'm just curious as to what the next step could be....
Any help would be appreciated.

Regards Steven

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys.

Sorry it was the electrician from work that found the drain he works on mercedes cars and vans.I'll find out how much it was draining tomorrow when I get chance to speak to him.

when the fuse was pulled i think the drain went down to 0.002ma on the multimeter,he said that was definitely the cause.
I've been to honda and asked them about recalls,it's had them all done apparently.

The car is at a relatives atm as I'm off work,went down today it started no probs with the back up fuse out but the stereo and sat nav do not work. Can I disconnect the alarm behind the o/s/r wheel arch panels and put the fuse back in to have the stereo and sat nav back on?

I had a brand new battery fitted and it lasted 2-3 weeks.

This is the first time ive had a honda, not a good experience and the service department at bolton branch do not inspire me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi guys,just spoke to my mate, he says the drain was 0.3amps ,Would this be enough to drain the battery?

After doing more research I've learned that the back up fuse controls more than just the alarm, so would it be an idea to disconnect the alarm from behind the drivers side panel in the rear then pop the fuse back in under the bonnet and see how I go?

Help needed

Thank you

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi

I had the same problem this week, left the 2006, 2.2 Diesel at the airport for three days, returned to battery fully drained.
AA called, jump started & found "parasitic drain" 1.0A, traced it back to the Bluetooth module, un-plugged, now ok, looking for a new module. Honda want £900+!!

Dave l

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello from Bulgaria mates. We have the same problem. Current consumtion with fuse number 16 (15amps) called (Back up) - 0.22 or 0.5 Amps.

Without this fuse, the dashboard, navi and radio are not working, but consumption is normal - 0.01 Amps.

I think its kinda electonic issue but i dont know where to search. Everything in the car is good working...

Hope someone to help :)

with regards

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
As other people have said first thing to do is unplug the Bluetooth module and see if that helps, its very common for them to play up like this

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Hello from Bulgaria mates. We have the same problem. Current consumtion with fuse number 16 (15amps) called (Back up) - 0.22 or 0.5 Amps.

Without this fuse, the dashboard, navi and radio are not working, but consumption is normal - 0.01 Amps.

I think its kinda electonic issue but i dont know where to search. Everything in the car is good working...

Hope someone to help :)

with regards
Hi guys,

I too have the same issue - under bonnet fuse 16 labelled "back-up" has an 0.5A parasitic draw. I disconnected the HFT module but the parasite was still there. Not sure what to try next - anyone have any ideas?

My suspicion is the satnav system because it had started playing up but I've not yet figured out how to get to it as it seems pretty well ensconced in the glove compartment with no obvious way of reaching it.

Suggestions very welcome.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Hi guys,

I too have the same issue - under bonnet fuse 16 labelled "back-up" has an 0.5A parasitic draw. I disconnected the HFT module but the parasite was still there. Not sure what to try next - anyone have any ideas?

My suspicion is the satnav system because it had started playing up but I've not yet figured out how to get to it as it seems pretty well ensconced in the glove compartment with no obvious way of reaching it.

Suggestions very welcome.
Update: I (laboriously) disconnected my satnav but still have an 0.5A parasite. Scratching my head now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The same issue here - fuse 16

I bought 59 plate Civic 2.2 diesel EX back in Jan, and in Feb I went for a couple days away leaving my car on the airport carpark. When back, couldn't open using remote, dashboard didn't light up with all bits, just some. Could not run starter. AA had to rescue me for the first time I am with them since 2008. I used to drive 2004 accord :)
Investigated myself and draw on that 16 fuse fluctuate (see video). Anyway, after approx. 20h I can't start the engine. So, very often I remove that fuse but it si annoying with no climate control or audio controls.

video here: htt ps://photos.app.goo.gl/Kxuf8O3bBiUiOu1L2 remove space between htt and ps

BT was mentioned here. I can't get phone connected over BT as voice command for phone settings is just not responding. I gave up. However, where can I find this module?

Someone mentioned that Honda has a recall for this - does anyone know the details if that is still active etc?

Thanks a lot for any advise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2006 2.2 icdti Fuse 16

I have the same issue. I took the fuse 16 the drain went form .75 amp to .03. An electrician looked at it add said there might be issue with the ECU. He said body control module is faulty and staying alive causing battery drain. He said it will cost around £500 to fix. So bought a jump starter which works fine.

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
I have the same issue. I took the fuse 16 the drain went form .75 amp to .03. An electrician looked at it add said there might be issue with the ECU. He said body control module is faulty and staying alive causing battery drain. He said it will cost around £500 to fix. So bought a jump starter which works fine.
Welcome to :civinfo:

Does your car have the hands free telephone option? This unit is known to fail and is a common cause of battery drain.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts