2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Apart from all the tremendous positives of owning such a wonderful car there is 1 specific drawback I found out at approx midnight last night - and that is that people will attempt to break in your house by smashing the front door down to steal it whilst your are sleeping in your bed.

Unless you are quick acting (as I was) they will steal your keys and drive away in your pride and joy!

Couple of tips from the Police -
Block your car in at night using another vehicle.
Hide your keys.
Get an older slower car.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Scary, Hope theres not too much damage .

I would consider putting a surveilance camera outside your front door - even if it is not connected to anything it will make these characters think twice. Cameras are Very cheap from maplins etc.

A baseball bat would be tempting, but these days you would end up in prison yourself.:viking:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Front door is written off and needs replacing but apart from that all OK.

CCTV installation company on the way!

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
really???? i keep my keys in my bedroom near me anyways! how manny have been stolen like this?
In the link "thefts" thread FWH posted above, TT Degs posted what the Police recommend!

"Which is to leave your keys away from the front and back doors, but somewhere else safe downstairs where they are not visible from the windows.

Typically say, a kitchen table.

The idea is:
By not being within reach from the letter box, or in easy sight of the window, you deter the 'casual' opportunist theif who is out to nick the first easy nice car he can find.

However, if some scum particularily wants your car enough to break in to your house to get the keys, then finding them on the kitchen table reduces the risk of you waking up with a knife at your throat.

Obviously, the latter is rather extreme, and hopefully not even the most desperate scumbag would risk the chance of a GBH or posession rap for the sake of a £20K Civic.
A £200K whatever, maybe - unfortunately :sad:"

Good advice I think, especially if your wife and kids are in the house.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Hello All,

Apart from all the tremendous positives of owning such a wonderful car there is 1 specific drawback I found out at approx midnight last night - and that is that people will attempt to break in your house by smashing the front door down to steal it whilst your are sleeping in your bed.

Unless you are quick acting (as I was) they will steal your keys and drive away in your pride and joy!

Hide your keys.
Get an older slower car.
How do you know they were after the keys to your car?

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
A baseball bat would be tempting, but these days you would end up in prison yourself.:viking:

Only if they find the body.... :)

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
Its thing like this makes we want to be in the USA as you can bust a cap in there ass

·
Registered
184 Posts
I wonder how many Type R members we have on this forum?

Knowing this we could try and gauge how rare this sort of incident is :?:

I know its not much of a consolation to NathanB, but I'm hoping its still extremely rare.

·
Registered
110 Posts
We had a gang doing this in Somerset about two years ago. Stealing high end stuff, BMW's, 4X4's. MO was to look through letter boxes and use re inforced wire to hook your keys out, you would be amazed how many people come in and just throw them down on a table top in the hall right by the door or leave them in the back of the door. We never caught the people and not one vehicle was recovered. Stopped after about three weeks. Theory was stolen to order and probably shipped overseas.
Also had workers pulling up to a newsagents near a big factory just before the 6am shift and leaving their keys in the ignition and even in some cases the engine running! Had seven nicked, then they too disappeared and it stopped!
As for the CTR, a perfect vehicle in a Police pursuit, small and nippy and what do you lose if you crash it as it aint yours!!!!!:mad:

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Hide your keys.
Get an older slower car.
As for the CTR, a perfect vehicle in a Police pursuit, small and nippy
Anyone else think our friends the fuzz have a hidden agenda here? ;)

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Hmmm, im not looking forward to picking mine up on saturday now. Heard so many stories of them being stolen. I personally wouldnt keep keys in my bedroom, isnt worth losing ones life over.

Trev, i would worry more with you as you are in Liverpool lol! I like to think that i am quite safe with mine, in a private cul-de-sac and im always bloody blocked in!

But . . . . . . can't live your life in fear, at anything otherwise what is the point in living!

Just buy it and enjoy it! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
110 Posts
No agenda FWH, but feel for Nathan. Just makes you feel angry that a lot of it could be prevented, although smashing in his door just goes to show sometimes whatever you do it still brings heartache. You want to try being professional and calm when you deal with these pillars of the community!!!Bl**dy takes effort!

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
No agenda FWH, but feel for Nathan. Just makes you feel angry that a lot of it could be prevented, although smashing in his door just goes to show sometimes whatever you do it still brings heartache. You want to try being professional and calm when you deal with these pillars of the community!!!Bl**dy takes effort!
I am sure we would be willing to look the other way if you happen to loose your proffesionalism for a moment. [smilie=cheeky-grin:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just squeezed the R into the garage. I do it most nights (when I remember and can be bothered), but this thread has got me worried. Its a very, very tight fit.

Its going to be a very determined (and stick thin) thief that gets it. ;)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts