2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

So to cut a long story short, I had struck a straight swap deal with a guy in Scotland for his Type S Civic and my CRV.

We agreed to meet somewhere so Penrith in Cumbria was an hour from him but 2.5 from me but he had to be somewhere in the morning so that was fine.

Ten minutes before Penrith my clutch started to slip so totally understandably he called the deal off, fair enough, I would have done the same.

So I am pricing up repair, my mech guy is quoting £350 labour which is fine, I know its a big job and I trust him implicitly as he was a Honda Tech for ten years. I have priced the clutch, flywheel and kit off Cox with the discount comes to just shy of £600. I have also tried Eurocar parts but wondered if anyone knew of anywhere cheaper to get a good quality set from before i hit purchase.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,444 Posts
Is it the first time it's slipped? When I had the 2.2 it would randomly slip then go back to working perfect. I think it had a lazy adjuster. I read on here somewhere if it is a lazy adjuster to dump the clutch pedal about 20 times. If the clutch has gone totally you would have noticed it well before now.

When I traded mine in the clutch was well shot but that was the original on 156k.

Reactions: Jon_G

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is the first time mate yea, the problem is I am doing the swap deal and now it has slipped the guy wants it changing if we are to do the deal which is understandable.

Also should say its got the stage 1 map from Premier Tuning which may have escalated it. The clutch slipped all the way back from Penrith when put under load but since its cooled down I cant even make it slip flooring it in any gear strangely.

·
Administrator
18,080 Posts
:( gutted for you, bad luck/timing for it to slip.

The DMF is 'likely' to be fine, so just swap out the clutch parts and save yourself a few £.

Is the chap still interested in the vehicle swap once the clutch has been changed?

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I wrote this I thought he was but he’s had a change of heart understandably so I might just go for the cheapest option available and get just the clutch done. I’ve pumped the clutch pedal 20 times to try and realign whatever it is that goes out of synch.

Don’t know what to do now tbh.

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
Would'nt be surprised if removing the map enabled the clutch to perform without slip.

2 things spring to mind though. First, the above is just an opinion, and second, possibly the vehicle will command a higher price and also be more attractive to prospective buyers ? (personally would 'shy away' from a tuned vehicle)

Reactions: nturnb

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was only slipping at the turbo spool to be fair, thing is I cant even get it to do it again which is more frustrating than anything else.

I will keep it booked in for full repair for now though to be sure.

I had to have the EGR off tune on, maybe in hindsight should have left the power alone and just left it at EGR off tune state but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup just tried my hardest on way home to get it to go but it just pulled realy really hard through the Rev range instead.

Like I said it wasn’t doing it for 130 miles then the last ten and on way home it did. Like it’s done it cos it’s got hot.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,444 Posts
Yup just tried my hardest on way home to get it to go but it just pulled really really hard through the Rev range instead.

Like I said it wasn’t doing it for 130 miles then the last ten and on way home it did. Like it’s done it cos it’s got hot.
Lazy adjuster, mine was the same, ended up doing it about every 7K after that for a brief period then went back to normal until it eventually slipped all of the time. I had a good 30k - 40k out of mine after first symptom.

Reactions: Cravo

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So after discussions with the Mrs and my mechanic I have decided to go ahead with the repair and then sell privately.

I was thinking just to chop it in against something part ex and then spend the £950 repair money on a better car but the part ex price is ridiculously low - £2.4k according to autotrader. I could attempt to sell as is but would struggle to get £3k so fix it and pop it up for sale around the £4.2k mark and see what happens.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,444 Posts
So after discussions with the Mrs and my mechanic I have decided to go ahead with the repair and then sell privately.

I was thinking just to chop it in against something part ex and then spend the £950 repair money on a better car but the part ex price is ridiculously low - £2.4k according to autotrader. I could attempt to sell as is but would struggle to get £3k so fix it and pop it up for sale around the £4.2k mark and see what happens.
I only got £1500 trade in for mine. Saying that, needed clutch, Air Con, Inlet Manifold etc so I snapped the dealers hand off. I don't think a dealer will offer you £2.4k trade in for a 58 plate. The dealer didn't even look over the car, wasn't interested.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update, the clutch and DMF were changed about 300 miles ago now, got a kit from ebay instead of the one from Honda and it works absolutely great for about £300 off the OEM price.

Car is up for sale but have had no real interest and want to go and see a Civ tomorrow :(

·
Administrator
18,080 Posts
Good to hear that you renewed the clutch.

Good luck hunting for a replacement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts