2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, i have being doing a bit of tweeking to the interior of my civic, and want to know how to remove the drivers door card without breaking it,
i bought some brushed aluminium vinyl and want to put it on the peice where the window controls are. i have put it on today roughly in situe and it will look great, but i really need to have it off to get a good finish and have the vinyl folded in around the buttons, i have already put some black carbonfibre on the section under the card which joins the dash and it looks amazing:) i'm also going to put the brushed aluminium on the steering wheel spokes too.

can anyone help??

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ha ha dan, no thank god i have never had the misfortune of hitting my knee off it ;-) (short legs) i want to wrap it in brushed aluminium vinly but i cant get in around the buttons neatly unless it comes off.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Have a look at this thread, it's easier than you think! http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/223-how-removal-door-trim-speaker-info.html
To get the armrest bit off, I seem to remember that one of the screws is quite well hidden so beware! :D

I'd be very interested to see what you do around the window buttons, i.e. where the vinyl ends. I've done mine & they're starting to peel...

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
I did mine with brushed ally and it looked great until it started to peel, so I ripped it all off, I think your supposed to use a special adhesive on edges with tight curves to stop it peeling off again

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
It is not too difficult to remove the door cards, however be prepared order some plastic trim parts because you will break/ damage them. I had to uninstall / reinstall my front two doors as the window tinter did not re-install the door card properly.

As you will need to disconnect /reconnect the door window harness, I suggest to disconnect the car battery first.

Pull back the plastic trim cover behind the door mirror. You might have wiring for an optional tweeter, be careful. Most likely, this cover will break (i have broken mine).

Behind the door handle, you need to pop out the plastic cover. This is a total pain to get out without destroying the plastic part and possibly scratching the door handle assembly.

Carefully lever out the rubber insert within the door handle pull.

You need to undo 3 screws and using a plastic trim tool , lever at the specified points on the door card, there are marks there.

The rest of the disassembly is easy to work out. Note the power window harness will be need to be disconnected. Take your time and don't rush it. Good luck.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Thanks.
Didn't you use plastic tools?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I've worked out a way of removing the plastic insert in the door handle pull without damage. Using a suitable size cable tie, insert the pointy end into the slot (ridge lines face up), until you feel some resistance. Gently pull the cable tie out, the panel should come out at the same time. If cable tie is too thick you will enlarge the hole in the slot and scratch the door pull plastic; too thin then there is nothing to "grip" the plastic insert.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
1) When re-installing the screws to the hold the door pull, do not overtighten, otherwise you will strip the thread in the door grommet (flourescent green in colour). You can however, replace these grommets quite easily (using a trim tool to remove).
2) Front door plastic garnishes (sail area) can be removed without breakage if you use a trim tool to gently lever them out. Rear garnishes unfortunately have a fragile plastic "ball" pop-in clip which breaks on removal. The annoying part is a piece of that clip gets left in the door. Two options: 1) apply superglue on break, align and re-install garnish or 2) poke the broken part into the door cavity. It will drop to the bottom of the door. To retrieve, peel off a small portion of the door sealing sheet for access. The replacement garnishes are cheap to replace.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts