2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First post here! A few days ago, I noticed the drivers side footwell of my Civic 06 was saturated with water. I couldn't see any obvious signs of a leak or a water trail.

(I'm new here so can't post links hence the space between https and :.) :nerd:

#1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IduTbuclURKlo18eNAbnewcMpIoMxWtg/view?usp=sharing

I let the carpets dry overnight then the next day, got a bucket of water and poured it over the windscreen and drivers side door. Didn't notice any leaks or signs of entry.

It then rained later that day and the carpet became wet again, similar to image 1. I did some more investigation by lifting carpet trim and noticed dampness and wetness in the circled part of the images:

#2: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1D_mY0tnWk1iM-2vU015tibQjsfLSjALe
#3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fLyfOHkJZPG-rKjW--Ix8_hA3ueqM0kW

I've Googled around and a common theme seems to be with the windscreen not being sealed properly. As such, my next step will be to get an air compressor, stick some foam around the windscreen then blow from the inside to see if any bubbles form which would indicate a hole that needs sealing. I've also read a lot about "A pillar", is that the pillar that travels from the dash (near engine start), up the side of the windscreen and to the roof of the car?

Any other areas I could look at to try and trace the issue?

All replies appreciated, thanks!

TIFTFY (M8TJT)

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Have you checked the underside for corrosion? Unlikely as it's not too old, but if you live somewhere salty is it possible the floor has corroded through somewhere?

·
4,345 Posts
I've also read a lot about "A pillar", is that the pillar that travels from the dash (near engine start), up the side of the windscreen and to the roof of the car?)
Yes. The B pillar is the one by the front seat backs, and the C pillar is.... (I expect you can work that out for yourself given the 'starter'):grin2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you checked the underside for corrosion? Unlikely as it's not too old, but if you live somewhere salty is it possible the floor has corroded through somewhere?
Yeah, underside looks ok. No signs of corrosion. Haha, I see you're based in Essex, I bought a house there recently. Small world!

Yes. The B pillar is the one by the front seat backs, and the C pillar is.... (I expect you can work that out for yourself given the 'starter'):grin2:
Thanks mate, that's cleared up my confusion.

So an update! I ended up taking the car to the Honda dealership and they said the leak appears to be coming from behind the dashboard. They said if I was willing, that they'd remove the dashboard to have a look but this would be a days worth of work and they quoted me £1,083 purely for labour! I'm not made of money so not fond of that, especially as they can't give a cost to fix after the dash is out. For all I know, I'll pay that then be told it's going to cost another [insert large sum here] to fix the source of the leak.

Tomorrow, I hope to speak to the Honda technician who worked on the car to see if I can get any other info from him and then try to investigate some more myself (never had to remove a dashboard before) or take the car to an independent garage...

·
Super Moderator
2,253 Posts
look best you can
make sure all rubber grommets and such like are in place wherever you can see them
if its letting water in that bad should be something obvious aslong as you can see the right area
heater hose and wiring
pedal box and steering column

not too much else unless its a split or something in the bulk head

im sure the dealer will just be using a educated guess
no one can be sure of where its coming from without finding the exact point

·
Registered
1 Posts
sounds like a problem I had with an 05 Fiesta I had turned out the passenger side wing wasn't welded and installed properly took ford 3 new carpets to figure out that issue and as you can guess that car was very quickly sold as soon as the 3rd attempted fix was done

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
What, Ford doing a botch job twice before finally getting to the bottom of the problem? Sorry, just don't believe it!

Sorry, the issues and problems I had with my MK6 ST still haunt me to this day, and were amongst the many reasons I had for getting shot of it and buying the Civic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts