2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On about 4 occasions over the past 6 weeks, the drivers exterior door handle, once unlocked, seems to get stuck in the "pulled in" position, e.g. the handle doesn't spring back to it's normal position, pushing the handle back forward again (e.g towards the bodywork of the car) doesn't fix it straight off, but after about 2 attempts, something clicks back into place, and pulling the handle once more opens the door.

Figured I'd keep an eye on it, and if it plays up more, I'll take it to the dealership, and get them to look at it regardless at the next service...

Roll on this evening, finish work, zap open the car, pull the drivers door, nothing, no resistance (just a bit of squeaking) and the handle pulls in and doesn't spring back, so I keep trying, I lock, unlock the car in the hope to trigger something, nothing, so I have a great idea, instead of standing like a loon, looking like I'm breaking into my own car, I decide to open the passenger door, and open the drivers door from the inside, and here lies in the problem - this handle isn't catching anything either, and is, instead just pulling easily open, but not opening the door!!!

So I (A very large guy) climb in through the passenger door, and across to the drivers seat, once here, I keep trying the door, until eventually it worked, I drove home, and managed to get out the car incident free...

I tried it again tonight, from the outside, same thing, it's stuck, to prove I'm not going mad, I tried to open from the inside again, but nothing, as per before, after maybe 20 - 30 attempts it eventually clicks back into place, but I am sure it's not doing the handle any good, continually trying.

I know people have had difficulty with stiff door handles, and one guy did have a similar problem to me, whereby the door was trapping passengers, from inside and out, I'm going to phone the dealer in the morning, and hopefully (I have great faith and confidence in them) they'll sort me out, because I am too big to climb across seats!

It's an 2007 '57' Type-S GT, (so only two doors, - 50% are playing up!!) and has 19k on the clock..

Just wondering if anyone else has had these exact symptoms...

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After sending the link to the other half, she said:

"You know the passenger door sometimes does the same thing dont you?
i thought nothing of it "

and

" it sticks in the pulled positions but 95% of the time the door opens fine"

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
The whole design of these handles is suspect. Her indoors has great difficulty opening the passenger door and I often have to stretch over to open it from the inside.

I mentioned it on service and they told me they're all like that and the best way is to enter the recess from below not above.

I think the whole handle should have been a complete 'pull out on a hinge' design like many other models, including the Hybrid I seem to recall.

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
I had mine fixed under warranty

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
I had both mine changed under warranty because there is a risk of it breaking apparently.

Still very stiff though on the passengers side.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's going in next Thursday morning, thankfully it seemed OK again this morning, perhaps it has something to do with being cold/warm, either way, they'll hopefully sort it, and until then, I guess I have to be persistent, or lucky!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
It's going in next Thursday morning, thankfully it seemed OK again this morning, perhaps it has something to do with being cold/warm, either way, they'll hopefully sort it, and until then, I guess I have to be persistent, or lucky!
My door handle also sticks sometimes, its worse when its a hot day, may need greasing?

·
Administrator
19,165 Posts
Yea, the handles are not the best and my drivers door sometimes sticks but so far no incidents to report ( touch wood )

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK guys, time for some advice!

Took my car in this morning (had an hour off work to do so - which I'm now going to have to make up) happily reading the news paper etc, when the service guy comes over and asks whether the car has had any work done to it, because it looks like it's been taken apart and not put back properly.

The only repair it has had, was 1 year ago, when a knock caused some damage to the front bumper, and front drivers side wing. The door has apparently got masking tape inside of it, which is not Honda, and some clips have been put on backwards, the cause of the problem, is further up in the door where something is out of kilter.

They told me that due to this, the repair bill would be £211 for new rods, and an hours labour, I took a look at the door, and attempted to take some photos on my phone.

I was then charged £46 for half an hours labour, I phoned the repairer, who said to bring the car in, for them to take a look at it, the chap agreed the handle was wrong (it squeaks horrendously too) and that I should have bought it straight to them, but as I explained the car is under warranty, and how was I supposed to know they've screwed with the door handle?!?!

He reckons they'll fix it on Monday, and give me a courtesy car whilst they have it in, he said that I'd have to speak to the manager, who is away this week about the £46 that Honda charged me for looking at the door, but that he doesn't think they'll pay it.

These are the other things which I believe the repair company didn't do well when it went for repair the first time:

a. One of the fog lights wasn't attached well (They fixed the next day)
b. There were some light scratches on the bumper (They also buffed up the next day)
c. One of the clips for my washers broke (near the front wing) (Honda fixed this under warranty, there is no way of proving why it broke, or who)
d. The bumper wasn't attached to the plastic lower trim in one place (Honda fixed this at the next service)
e. They replaced the headlight unit (tiny piece was chipped off the corner) and the bulb they put it wasn't phillips (like the honda original on the other side) but an unbranded one, it blew after about 6 months (I replaced both bulbs with some decent super bright ones)

I don't know if there is anything else I was unhappy about, but I know there has just been item after item of things to go wrong, and now I am almost £50 out of pocket, for something else!!!

So, my question: let the repair company fix the door on Monday, and try to get the money back from them, or what shall I do?

The Direct line website says:
Each repair is carried out in accordance with recognised industry standards, it is guaranteed for at least 5 years and all replaced parts are approved by the car manufacturer.
Car Insurance | Claims Information from Direct Line

To which I have always assumed it meant your manufacturers warranty is not affected!? I, and Honda, suspect they took it out, and put the same thing back, but incorrectly, or slightly out of alignment, so who should pay the Honda fee??

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts