2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
4,010 Posts
Knowing whether or not you have a multi-meter would be a good place to start.
And presumably you actually mean the heating element not the motor?

·
Registered
34 Posts
My passenger side wing mirror has a mind of its own. Sometimes it's very slow and refuses to fold fully, then the next day it's completely fine. I've seen you can buy the kits on eBay to fix them pretty cheap so might have to give that a go.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How does the glass come out again? I'm sure I've taken it out before, you just wedge it out from the behind the glass don't you?

I'll try pick up a multimeter from screwfix today and test.

·
4,010 Posts
Switch the meter to the Ohms (Resistance) range. The reading should be very high such as 40Mohms (open circuit) Short the prods together and the reading should go down to just about zero (short circuit).
Having done that, disconnect the heater element from the car and then put the meter probes, one on each connection to the heating element on the mirror It should read more than zero, but a lot less then the 40M opern circuit.
If it does, then it is likely that the heating element is OK.
If that is the case, switch on the demister to supply voltage to the mirror.
Set the voltage to a suitable range to measure 12V. Set the meter to DC (unless it's auto), Now connect the neg lead of the meter to chassis, and probe both sides of the heater connector and look for 12V on one of them. If none, it's likely a fuse.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts