2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay let's say it's -2 degrees, and you don't have time to warm up the engine. You need to get somewhere fast, like A&E. Is it better for the engine to be under heavy load at low revs or light load at higher revs (up to 4000rpm)
Just wondering which of the two wears less on the engine or does it really not matter as you can't avoid it?
Expecting very technical answers here! Cheers

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts
i wouldn't be arsed about the engine

·
Dr. Evil
3,831 Posts
In such exceptional circumstances, I doubt you're going to put much wear on the engine either way. If you're ragging a cold engine often though, that's going to be a different matter.

·
Derv Driver
465 Posts
Ye, smooth on the throttle.
I'd say low(er) revs, as the cold oil probably will struggle to lubricate properly in the upper rev range (let's say at 3000 vs 5000 rpm as an example the cold oil will probably do a better job at 3000- oil obviously being thicker at a lower temperature). Just my guess.

Also, please always make sure you're not the cause of another accident. Wouldn't want that now, would we?

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Doesn't matter whether it's -2 or 20 degrees, your engine is still "cold" It wont get to operating temperature until it hits over 90 degrees. You shouldn't rag it until it gets some decent heat through it. In my opinion you should never labour an engine hot or cold.

Driving fast at -2 is a different discussion altogether and would see you in A&E swiftly at some point for altogether different reasons

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.