2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The quickest route for me to take to work everyday involves going through a ford which is normally just a puddle, however with the recent snow and rain the deepest point has been varying from a foot to 3 feet.

Obviously I'm not going to attempt it at 3 feet but it the Civic can handle a foot of water no problem and I regularly drive through at this level. However, I mentioned this to our company fleet guy and he has warned me about people writing off 4x4s in this same ford so I'm now a bit cautious and I'm wondering how deep I can expect to go before there's trouble (fnar fnar)

Does anyone have any experience or advice for this particular activity?

For example, its the height of the air intake that matters most for keeping the car moving. As long as water doesn't get into the engine I should be okay, right?

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
It depends on the speed obviously as well. personally, i'd avoid anything over a foot but wouldnt feel comfortable at that tbh.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
No idea what the 9G looks like under the bonnet but if it's laid out sensibly with the electrics and intake high up then at low speed (bow wave = failure) you should be fine.

Nevertheless if it were me I'd go around!

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
I killed the starter motor on my old van driving through a ford.

Although my new combo has been through plenty of floods with no ill effects except the wheel trim came off

·
Supporter
3,159 Posts
Wouldn't chance it

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,254 Posts
I wouldn't risk it either:

Another potential cause of damage in floods is a cracked catalytic converter ('cat'). The 'cat' is part of the exhaust system and works at high temperatures; if it comes into contact with very cold water there is a possibility that the rapid contraction of the metal could crack the welded sides - OK if you have plenty of money to replace it!

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. I wasn't aware of the cat issue and googling hydrolock was a sobering experience. :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts