2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

On my 2016 9th gen civic hatchback I have DRL lights that you're all familiar with.
The thing is that when I turn them on, the driver's side wont lit up. Every one in a while it does and turns off. Sometimes it flickers and turns off.
Everything else is working well.

And of course we can't do it right without a picture, so here you go:

Car Vehicle Photograph Grille Plant

·
Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
22,137 Posts
Do all the other lights in the cluster work ?

Just to rule out a bad earth

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had one fail under warranty.

Interestingly, I could seem to trigger it to come on sometimes by playing with the dash brightness dial - on enough occasions that it wasn't a fluke.

You'll likely need a replacement light unit unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Sounds interesting..
You mean the whole headlight? Such a waste :(
Do you think it can be opened and repaired? I saw a video on YouTube where they opened one and replaced the led strip.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Sounds like a wiring problem to me - check all the connectors are snug, if you can work out what is what terminal wise you could try a 12v feed to the DRLs input to establish if it is the DRLs themselves or wiring elsewhere. I wouldn't start by changing the whole headlight unit.

Fuses checked?

·
Premium Member
2,457 Posts
Usually the LED / control module would be the main failure point, if you could get the unit out and to an automotive electrical engineer it may be possible to salvage - someone on pistonheads was able to get an LED unit repaired, may be worth asking around therr to see if anyone has a recommendation.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like a wiring problem to me - check all the connectors are snug, if you can work out what is what terminal wise you could try a 12v feed to the DRLs input to establish if it is the DRLs themselves or wiring elsewhere. I wouldn't start by changing the whole headlight unit.

Fuses checked?
I'll try that, tnx.
I have checked the fuses but might need another look becuse of my cheap multimeter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so I ran another fuse check, no problem there.. and I found the fuse diagram in my owners manual so much thanks to Otto33 for trying to help with his manual!

Wanted to check also the connections but its to narrow and I have to remove the battery to get a comfortable access.

You guys think maybe a car electrician or a mechanic may have a device of some sort that can be used to show any information about the state of the headlight unit? And of course in particular, the led 'system' that I know sits inside the headlight itself.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I dont know if it's possible or practical but could you take both headlight units out and swap them over - obviously it would rely on the connectors being the same - but you could at least rule out or in the headlight as being the cause

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dont know if it's possible or practical but could you take both headlight units out and swap them over - obviously it would rely on the connectors being the same - but you could at least rule out or in the headlight as being the cause
Good idea but I wish I had the time to do it... I'll keep that in mind, tnx

·
Ex-Pat Geordie! and Moderator
2,572 Posts
Shocking if the whole headlight cluster needs changed for the DRLs failing. Is there no fix available in MARIS?

·
Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
22,137 Posts
This has been an expensive issue since they introduced sealed units back in the 70's

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Shocking if the whole headlight cluster needs changed for the DRLs failing. Is there no fix available in MARIS?
I know, it's ridiculous!
Someone told me to check the LED 'brain' or like the main chip unit or something like that. Might be fixable.
You guys know anything about that?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update**

As I mentioned, this thing has life of its own.
Yesterday evening I turned the switch, (just the battery) and lo and behold the LED strip came to life. After a minute or so of trying to figure out what the hell is going on, I started the engine and to my disappointment it didn't turned on.
Any thoughts?

Hood Automotive lighting Door Automotive design Bumper

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Grille Automotive tire

·
Registered
2015, Civic, 1.6 i-Dtec
147 Posts
As you mention by yourself above there is a "driver" that drives the led strip. Something like transformer and capacitors and processor to power this... you just gotta find it...

Sent from my BBD100-1 using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts