2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Trying to remove this drop link but I can’t see how to stop it from spinning as there’s no Allen key slot on either the thread or the back, any ideas?

·
i-Vtec
4,119 Posts
Have a feel about behind the mount and in front of the rubber with a 17mm spanner, there may be a slot for a spanner. If it has 6 green dots on the rear its an original and you'll need one of these.

·
Enjoying life
8,683 Posts
Yep. Pull the rubber back a bit and feel if there is anything to put a spanner on or mole grips. I'd soak that nut in penetrating fluid for 24 hours before too.
You could also cut a groove into the end of the bolt to stick a flat screwdriver socket bit into.

·
Super Moderator
2,539 Posts
It sounds like it could be a Meyle part so Das's suggestion is sound as they have a spanner flat at the bottom of that bolt

·
Super Moderator
2,555 Posts
if all that fails try mole grips on the bar and twist to put force on the threaded part

last resort is cut the nut off
not always the easiest to get a good angle on

have you tried heat ??

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, here’s another couple of pics - not. They’ve been off recently because I had this shock replaced at a garage in Dec. Just can’t work out how to secure the thread, but as you say might have to use mole grips of cut it off. I’ve never used a grinder before, ill probably need to prestige first. I suppose I could just cut the bottom one off, remove the strut and cut the top part off on a bench.

·
i-Vtec
4,119 Posts
They will have just removed the top one. Most likely they with a dunty gun, with a pair of mole grips at the back.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got these ones removed

Now, do drop links have a top and bottom or does it not matter? I have the SKF ones @Das

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, so that’s the right hand side done - the left hand side had a different brand of drop links and took the Allen key, but this just rounded so these will need to be cut off

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ps @Das ’s advice was spot on, there was a slot for a 17mm spanner

Reactions: Das

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would someone mind pointing out which part of the drop link I need to cut with a grinder, on my images? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Just cut through the nut as close to the arb as you can. Ideally you don't want to touch the arb with the grinder disc, but I wouldn't worry if the arb is slightly grazed.

·
i-Vtec
4,119 Posts
On the top one you'll need to go through the back of the mount, in front of the rubber. On the bottom one just cut through the nut.
If your buying a grinder buy cutting discs, they are very thin and cut quicker than thicker grinding discs. Eye protection is a must(sparks) and don't be tempted to remove the shield or you'll lose a finger.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just cut through the nut as close to the arb as you can. Ideally you don't want to touch the arb with the grinder disc, but I wouldn't worry if the arb is slightly grazed.
Thanks

I’m assuming you’d cut the extra length of thread off before cutting through the nut?

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On the top one you'll need to go through the back of the mount, in front of the rubber. On the bottom one just cut through the nut.
If your buying a grinder buy cutting discs, they are very thin and cut quicker than thicker grinding discs. Eye protection is a must(sparks) and don't be tempted to remove the shield or you'll lose a finger.
View attachment 316839 View attachment 316840
Thanks for the advice - yes I’ve seen the thin medial cutting discs and I’ll definitely be getting PPE. I’ve got a mask and ear plugs, just need some goggles.

In your second image (bottom part of the DL) am I cutting in the direction of your arrow? I though I’d cut in the direction if I moved your arrow 90 degrees clockwise, but first cut off the thread... not sure why I though that. Sorry for asking lots of questions on this...

·
i-Vtec
4,119 Posts
Just cut straight across the nut as close to the Anti Roll Bar as you can. You will see the nut separate from the stud. Just grind whats left away, it will fall out when you got enough metal removed.

I’m assuming you’d cut the extra length of thread off before cutting through the nut?
No just go straight through the nut.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If your worried about where to cut or even using angle grinders, which some people are, get a decent nut spliter set.
These look useful thanks - I’ll get a set of those for toolbox.

Going to give the grinder a shot as I’ve often come across scenarios where I could have used one to make life easier. Will do plenty of practise and make sure I’m protected, and hopefully I won’t lose a finger...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts