2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fn2 was in for service yesterday, got a call from Honda dealer , they cannot check rear o/s tyre pressure due to them being unable to remove metal dust cap .... I took the car home and neither can I remove it ...

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
The fn2 was in for service yesterday, got a call from Honda dealer , they cannot check rear o/s tyre pressure due to them being unable to remove metal dust cap .... I took the car home and neither can I remove it ...
sounds like it's overtightened or corrosion has set in. If you can't use any grips to get it off, unfortunately you have to go and have a new valve.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
As expected for Honda, I'd go to a local independent who should be cheaper,

Be carefully if you try and use grips yourself and you may damage the valve and then you'll have a flat too :-/
You could try using some releasing fluid on it first, WD40 etc to see if it loosens it up.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
is it plastic or metal dust cap ?

i had a metal one seize on mine not long ago and ended up using a needle file to cut a groove/slice down the length of the dust cap to get it off which worked

if its plastic a stanley knife should do the same job or heat the stanley blade up to slice through it

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
i had this happen to me, from my experience just take it to a local Tyre place and get the valve replaced, i used two sets of grips on mine, they had welded themselves to the valves the next thing i know i have a flat tyre

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,312 Posts
Is that for a brew while your thinking what to do :laugh:
:grin2: er nope, I have a carbon fibre road bike and the seat post is made of Alloy, occasionally the two weld together and the tried and tested way to separate them is to use boiling water. May work getting the dust cap off, and yes, a Brew while you're doing this would be a bonus especially with todays temperatures. :laugh2:

·
Super Moderator
21,011 Posts
I was only joking (almost).

In line with a needle file suggestion, I'd also be thinking about a Dremmel and try and cut it off carefully. Cut into it just enough to pry it off.

The first thing that struck me though was, when was the last time the tyre pressures were checked. Given the recent drop in temps I reckon tyres have lost 2 or 3 psi anyway and need checking.

·
4,258 Posts
Reminds me. Found mine had dropped to their 'winter setting' yesterday. Bit soft, even as I run them a bit soft anyway for comfort. Must crack out my long compressor hose.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I was only joking (almost).

In line with a needle file suggestion, I'd also be thinking about a Dremmel and try and cut it off carefully. Cut into it just enough to pry it off.

i used a needle file i thought a dremmel might have been a bit too viscous
it just takes a bit longer :)

the one i got stuck was the so called stainless caps that iv'e been using for years, it's the first time ones ever seized

1 - 20 of 30 Posts