2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had an issue with the DVD reader with the standard satnav?

Mine has started acting up, it takes FOREVER to wake up properly and when the map shows up it won't let me access the menu to set a destination for 60 seconds or so

And that's assuming it doesn't just get a read error and refuse to work.

I've tried using a couple of DVDs in case they were fault but no luck either way.

I'm guessing it might be the laser but I'm unsure how easy it is to clean, I'm also worried it might just be the unit itself.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Mine did the same, for me, there was a line near the outer edge of the disc. Obtained a new disc (Supporter Section....) and all was fine.

Still does it occasionally, there seems to be many attempts to clean the laser with no REAL success - other than removing the unit to gain access or returning it to Alpine - £225 not including major spares (quote from DTronix as they call themselves, quote received May 2015)

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine did the same, for me, there was a line near the outer edge of the disc. Obtained a new disc (Supporter Section....) and all was fine.

Still does it occasionally, there seems to be many attempts to clean the laser with no REAL success - other than removing the unit to gain access or returning it to Alpine - £225 not including major spares (quote from DTronix as they call themselves, quote received May 2015)
Glad I'm not going insane then, it almost feels like built in obsolescence of the unit.

I did get a new disc of a couple of versions and did the reset downgrade and upgrade to try and improve it with no such luck.

I might try again with another disc if burnt and not just the iso via supporters or I guess the next best thing would be try fleabay for a 2nd hand unit but then no warranty there and it might well just die itself as well.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
As i understand it, the reader is very picky about the discs + burning method used. Rather than cocking about I just paid up, sorted it for me!

I looked at eBlag units as well, came to the same conclusion, if going to spend £100+ on a drive, may as well refurb what we've got, at least there's some come back then - although mine seems OK ATM {touches wood}

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks man,

I'll keep meaning to sign up as a supporter anyway so perfect excuse ;)
I would change to a double din and do all that, but I know full well that's a can of worms on all sorts of "upgrades" and I'll end up spending well beyond £200 odd quid to refurb.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts