2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some time today due to someone not showing up after booking in...... Another reason for having booking fees.

I was able to test one after the other Toda, TDI/Xo and CPL manifolds.
Toda, HKS, Milltek catbacks
Mugen, GruppeM and HKS intakes.

In simple terms:
Manifolds for peak bhp:
1. TDI/Xo
2. Toda
3. CPL

Manifolds at peak torque:
1. Toda
2. CPL
3. TDI/Xo

Exhausts:
1. Toda
2. HKS
3. Milltek
(not lot between HKS and Milltek but Toda gain was significant)

Intakes:
1. Mugen with scoop
2. Mugen and GM (Mugen was behind bumper no scoop kit)
3. HKS race kit

Pretty eye opening really concerning manifolds but design of Toda with short primaries will give better low down torque. TDI/Xo has very long primaries and as seen in past on race engines is ideal for peak power where you are most of the time. CPL is a good compromise.

Exhausts you would expect a 60mm system to give better flow than a 52mm system and that is what we saw.

Intakes the Mugen with the garnish scoop is the one to beat now. No flatspots, very smooth and makes the power. True ram air system and I believe would be the ultimate for anyone chasing big bhp or boosted.

Conclusion is I'm now running Mugen intake with scoop, Toda manifold and catback as the torque is immense compared to other combinations, however I am down on peak bhp compared to if I wa running our own manifold which was originally designed for race cars.

Will be testing again with JDM camshafts soon :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Fantastic, thanks for sharing.

This kind of information is stuff that interests most CTR owners, but there are very few people like yourself who have the oppertunity to test all the different combos with a proper dyno.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think people also don't want to know the answers sometimes.
Thing is new parts become available as the cars get older and not many have chance to test as you say.

Thing is with the FN2 it's immediatly compromised by design and space. Ultimate would be much longer manifold, less bends in the exhaust and ultimately single exit but that's not what we can have in most cases.
Don't honestly think there is much more tone gained with different manifolds or exhausts. The real power will now come from better camshafts and dumping the oil pump system but looking back we already knew that.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nitro- no only what I have detailed in first post. I don't sell Injen as it's not a good kit. Anything that involves bending chassis or cutting holes in arch liners is nota good solution. I fed back information to Injen several times and they didn't listen. The kit is compromised and they had the opertunity to make a very good kit. Maybe in the future though.
New parts are released thy are better than previous ones so time will tell ;)

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Awesome!! Thanks alot Paul :) got any toda goin cheap??

·
The White Knight
1,486 Posts
for Price i think Milltek is good :D i got mine for £300 cant fall off really yes mt GM was £600 still not a bad price to nowadays all i needs is a god damm tune lol lol just need to decide on a Manifold :)

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
Well done Paul.. Great info! Thanks

Any Dyno Plots comparing the TODA Manifold with the TDI one??

Pleeeeeeaaase....

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Good info...like seeing that the TDI manifold that I got is best for peak bhp! :D

I dont get how the Mugen airbox with scoop got better results that the GM, surely they are the same thing and the GM has a larger intake and is getting a better flow of air straight into it.

Not saying the results are wrong or anything by the way, as you have shown the dynos before but unless you ask you can't learn. :)

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will post up final plots shortly. Main is the TDI vs Toda manifolds and you will clearly see the differences what longer primarys make.

Regarding the intakes the Mugen just allows a higher volume of air compared to the GM when the scoop is fitted

·
ON A STEEL WOK I FRY
2,460 Posts
Very interesting when laid out like that. Thanks Paul

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would like to see the standard air box with k&n panel filter and driven crazy scoop to see what types of gains would be made. It is mint to act like a ram effect as well.

I really want to get my car over to use and get it tuned but I would like to have a few bits on it first before gettin it tuned. Think manifold would be the best purchase for the best gains but dam that toda is expensive.

If my car was standard and tuned would I feel much of an improvement. The midrange seems pretty gutless in my car. Also throttle response is pants. My 1.4 ek civic had 10x better throttle response. Would this improve with you tuning it.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mapping a standard car has big benefits so I'd say get it done.

Using the OEM system with the driven scoop isn't really acheiving much gains wise as you still have the very long complex intake system and there isn't any way to gather anymore cold air than the oem scoop already gets.
Get the Mugen scoop and keep stock intake I recon would be a better solution.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Have you got any graphs of a standard car just mapped.

Do you have the flashpro in stock. Or would I have to buy it and bring it with me if I was comin over to get mapped.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got loads with just an intake and flashpro but not on it's own. They are in stock so you could just load the groupN map in the meantime until you are ready to get it tuned.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
using the OEM system with the driven scoop isn't really acheiving much gains wise as you still have the very long complex intake system and there isn't any way to gather anymore cold air than the oem scoop already gets
sorry but this is not complex and gets much more(fresh) air

lex:

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
sorry but this is not complex and gets much more(fresh) air

lex:

Nuno, i think Paul was thinking about the Scoop conecting to the original piping!! Not consedering that it would be connected straight to the OEM Box.

Regards

1 - 20 of 50 Posts