2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
Had the car dyno's today, it's a stock 08 and made 195 @ the fly.
The operator said it was running very rich which may have been cause for a lower figure.

Im wondering is this any cause for concern in the long run or how it would be affected by mod's?

I already have a catback here for it and plan on putting on a hks rsk at the same time, Is my fueling likely to be all over the shop then?

Here's the graph attached

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Not a mega risk, obviously the normal afr will be better (and a bit more powerful too). Maybe check your primary o2 sensor is ok at your dealer... Flashpro will help if you're after a bigger poke though :) mapped of course

·
Sold a kidney last week!
3,962 Posts
Stock CTR's tend to run rich; it's not a problem - they run rich, to stay on the safe side.

I'd be worried if it was running lean.

·
aka Colin
10,853 Posts
flashpro is the way forward mate, would sort that out i reckon.

·
Premium Member
13,427 Posts
That doesn't look overly rich to me, they do run pig rich from standard obviously for protection at high lift / revs.

Looks to me like you have found a very good dyno, not like the fairy tale ones elsewhere. Make sure you stick with this dyno after fitting your mods.

·
The Property Man
6,060 Posts
doesnt too too bad dude..get the mods fitted then map it..thatll sort it out

·
Registered
286 Posts
that is more than rich , its insanely rich above 6000 rpm...
i ve had my turbo b18 tuned at 12.2 , and all my n/a cars at 13.3-13.5
but till the fn2 , i d NEVER seen stock honda run 10s , exept from the stock s2000 that runs about 10.8 only from 8000-9000 rpm

its not risky of course , but 10 afr as seen in the dyno between 7500-8500 is worse for the engine than a considered ''lean'' 13.5+ , a bit more then that (10afr) and u ll start washing cylinder walls from oil film needed to remain in the cross hatch of the sleeve.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One thing I've noticed is that the car is'nt great on petrol even driving like a granny it still can be very thirsty, although I suppose I can live with it untill I get hold of a flashpro.

·
Registered
286 Posts
i bet u r wrong james
have u driven a car with 8 afr??

it bogs and sputters and black smoke is coming through the exaust...
its almost undriveable , let alone HURTING the engine , a stock honda engine would never be tuned at 8 afr

stock euro ep3s were never that rich , i ve measured on dyno more than 60!!

maybe when u say 8 , u mean 0.82 lamda voltage? thats about right

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Why do you bet I am wrong?

I watched the A/F reading on the dyno go below 9 with my own eyes. It just got richer and richer.

·
Registered
286 Posts
because a stock ep3 CANT and DOESNT run at 8-9 afr , i ve seen it too on the dyno , about 60 times with an ep3 , i wont try any harder than this , i ve been ecu tuning hondas for the last 8 years btw, u can believe whatever u like.
Also an 8 afr car , is undriveabe , mechanically and chemically WRONG and will cause severe engine damage.

maybe the richest running car stock ive seen is a stock evo 8 , and u see 9.8-10.5 afr

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Saw it with my own eyes. It happened, get over it ! I'm not say they all run like this, just one EP3 out of the 10 or so that was on the dyno that day.

Romain from ARTech/Eurospec will back me up, as will a few others, as it was a RR shootout day. Everyone was shocked.

·
Registered
286 Posts
then u answered yourself , there was something WRONG with that car , a stock ep3 sees 11-12 afr , and NEVER even 10 .

i challenge anyone to go now and measure one.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
You have the wrong end of the stick, I'm not saying they are all mapped like that.

The car was running fine though, even though it was that rich, it was still making the same power as the other EP3s that day. Was strange.

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
All you need is a busted O2 (wideband) sensor and a calibration being in Closed Loop!!!!!!!

ex: Sensor reading poor....,ECU Keeps adding fuel..... for the target AFR!! All you need is injectors that can keep up...lol

·
Registered
286 Posts
u r right , but
a)the sensor cant add above a predetermined percentage above the map value , so if your map values are for e.g 17 afr, even if the ecu adds the max allowed percentage of fuel , u wont see 8 afr!!!

b)he said dyno runs , thats wot NOT closed loop , in wot in an ep3 there is no fuel trim that can throw off the afr , if the sensor is bad.

c)ep3s edm dont have a wideband , they have a narrowband

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
Ok,

I said that becaus i am experiencing just that! lol

Busted sensor.... injecotrs at 100% @ 6800 rpms.... so imagine my real AFR..... and if i had bigger injectors, the richer it would get....

PS.. in for a FN2 OEM wideband for a good price.. lol

·
The Property Man
6,060 Posts
God iv learnt so much from u..iv always wanted someone to explain afr to me

Good work there

1 - 20 of 20 Posts