2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Bought a 1.8 type s gt 2 weeks ago.
Drove the car from norwich area back to hull (about 130 miles) and averaged 38mpg on A roads driving nice and steady,(apart from the first 10 miles or so where I put it through its paces)
Since then ive just been driving around the town on short journeys betwwen 2-4 miles sometimes a little more and im averageing 28.6 for the last 70 miles. Ive not been thrashing the car AT ALL just nice and steady all the way. As it stands at the moment on the A setting on the average mpg its on 28.6 and on B its 32.4 (since i had the car) .
Ive had a look at the wiki mpg page and im nowhere near and panicking a little, Do these figures sound right or should i get someone to have a look???? Ideally i should of waited til i go back to work (i average 100-120 miles per week) before i post but im impatient and im constanly fiinding myself watching the mpg rather than the road :(.....HELP

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I know it's a different car but to echo the fact that short journeys reduce mpg I get around 20-22mpg doing short journeys and 33-35mpg on longer motorway/A road journeys (38 at a stretch Costel :-( )

2 - 4 miles isn't even enough for the engine to get fully up to optimal temperature. I wouldn't worry about it.

To maximise your mpg make sure tyre pressure are correct, servicing up-to-date etc.

·
Replica man
2,175 Posts
see how many miles you do to a tank, 4mile trip to work i get 300 to a tank and mixture of b roads and work i get about 350 and motorway long trips 400-420

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
28 sounds about right (unfortunately ;)) for short round-town journeys, particularly in the winter when the temperatures are lower.

On the open road 40+ is easily achievable, and I even got mine up near 50 several times.

Also, if the 28 is what the trip computer is showing you, the actual mpg is probably less than this - maybe around 24/25 (sorry)

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
I do quite a few short journeys. If I've just refuelled and the trip has gone back to zero, I can get as little as an indicated 24 mpg on a round trip of say 3 miles.

Nothing to worry about. The car is cold, chugging along in stop start so that's about normal.

·
Learner
271 Posts
I drove Heathrow-Torquay and back, with a couple stops, then a few short journeys afterwards. Motorway was 80-85 trying to keep up with my bro's Impreza (which was a waste of time).

2.2 Dirty Diesel !
452 miles and light came on.
48.4mpg

·
Registered
502 Posts
MPG differs a lot depending on factors you have no (or little) influence on: outside temp, drivecycle, traffic situation, wind, oil viscosity...
My wife and I have 100% same car (except for the color;)), 1.4 i-DSI: I average 5,2 l/100 km last December month. She needs 7,2 l/100 km (readings on dashboard). I do not use mine for short trips. She: almost only short trips (a few miles). I drive in 'eco-style', she doesn't.
A tip: changing her car's oil to 0W20 lowered fuel consumption with approximately 5%. In my case this was only 2%. The shorter the trips (= colder the oil), the more benefit you get from such a change.
Your consumption seems normal for wintertime.
Have fun with your new car!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hmm... Over 12k miles, seems to average around 36.7 mpg......

But on more recent trips (using the "a" computer) it is now averaging on around 36/37 mpg in coldish weather ... I don't hammer it, but I'm not slow either... journeys of around 10 miles each way, with a bit of stop-start ...

Journey from Yorkshire to Wales - 380 miles averaged 43 mpg at indicated 75 to 80, with 2 adults, 2 kids and a bootload of kit... my dads 2.2 Avensis diesel managed only 39 and he toddles along!

I don't think thats bad for a 1.8 ishift...?

·
Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
22,600 Posts
I know it's a different car but to echo the fact that short journeys reduce mpg I get around 20-22mpg doing short journeys and 33-35mpg on longer motorway/A road journeys (38 at a stretch Costel :-( )

2 - 4 miles isn't even enough for the engine to get fully up to optimal temperature. I wouldn't worry about it.

To maximise your mpg make sure tyre pressure are correct, servicing up-to-date etc.
That is slightly low if your using the trip comp. I'm getting an indicated 41-42 (38 actual via spreadsheet and SpritMonitor) on my daily A road and motorway journeys. In Summer I can get my trip comp weekly average up to 44-45 some weeks.

.. and I'm using the worst type of gearbox - full auto

·
Premium Member
412 Posts

+1
i do alot of short journeys, in this weather average 24-26mpg!!!!!:facepalm:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.