2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im out of touch with what's available now as havent been on here in ages.

What is the best aftermarket ECU and have thy sorted the immobiliser issue? What's the best induction kit? Still Gruppe M?

What gains do you get out of just an ECU and Gruppe M? Does it affect MPG adversely?

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
1. Flashpro is what most people use and is commonly known to be the best method of remapping the FN2. It's not a new ECU, but a tool used to flash the original ECU via the OBD2 port. FlashPro Civic Si

No immobilizer issues with Flashpro when used on the FN2.

3. From what I've read, the Mugen and Tegiwa intake give the best gains (fully enclosed kits and similar to OEM), but I have no direct experience with either of these (or any FN2 intake for that matter). Some might argue the CPL CAI and Injen are better as they're open cone and sit behind the bumper. HKS RSK is possibly the most popular, but due to it's position (and the fact it's open) in the engine bay it seems to suffer from heat soak. The open filter kits do sound better, if that's your sort of thing :evil:

3. The gains from a remap and intake will depend on what intake you use, I'd expect about 210-215bhp average, but with a much more noticeable increase in torque in the mid range.

4. Driven normally without thrashing, I've read plenty of people getting better MPG after a map.

Hope that helps, I've answered to the best of my knowledge and hope it's all at least about right :laugh:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks swalesy, with the flashpro not being a swapped out ECU, does it not run a risk of bricking the OEM ECU and surely I'd have to take it back to a tuner to have it changed back to stock?

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
No I believe when you get it remapped, the standard map is stored on the Flashpro, so you can revert back whenever you want, say if you strip the car back to standard.

When you do this, I can't say for sure but I'd expect the 'tuned' map will then be saved on the Flashpro to put back on the car when you want too. Someone else may need to confirm this.

What do you mean when you say bricking the ECU?

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Bricking the ECU would be when attempting to flash it there being some corruption that makes it totally useless - i.e. it's now got the same functionality as a brick.

I'm yet to hear of anyone have that problem when using the flashpro on the FN2.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Bricking the ECU would be when attempting to flash it there being some corruption that makes it totally useless - i.e. it's now got the same functionality as a brick.

I'm yet to hear of anyone have that problem when using the flashpro on the FN2.
I have had it once ir twice when the map has failed to flash properly, but when I tried again it was fine.

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Flashpro has a built in feature that the ECU is as close to reasonably practical 100% recoverable, I have never had an issue myself on a few cars I've flashed.

The Flashpro also has a Hondata Version of the stock map stored in its management software that is reflashed when you return to stock for any reason. The Oem file is not saved.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
I have had it once ir twice when the map has failed to flash properly, but when I tried again it was fine.
Thats not bricking the ECU, the upload just failed thats all. The car would have had whatever map was on it before if you had started the car.

I have never heard of a bricked ECU from a Hondata Flashpro upload.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Thats not bricking the ECU, the upload just failed thats all. The car would have had whatever map was on it before if you had started the car.

I have never heard of a bricked ECU from a Hondata Flashpro upload.
Sorry to not clarify, I didnt mean it bricked the ECU, was just saying that once it twice if failed to load thats all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the clarification all. Given the flashpro just overwrites the stock ECU can't I just pay someone to change the map as opposed to paying >£500 for the unit itself??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So what does it do? Marry itself to the ECU of your car and then it's useless to anyone else, does that not mean you can't sell it on?

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
You register it online and then it locks to your cars ECU number, to sell it on, you must reflash your car to Hondatas in built standard map version and de register.

Flashpro can only be used to reflash one vehicle at a time.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Don't forget the Flashpro now allows the car to be tuned using MAP based tuning, this results in a far smoother power delivery throughout the entire rev range. This is something that cannot be described by a power figure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts