2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car went into Honda today to be diagnosed for a intermittent vsa and abs light which comes on randomly sometimes. They said a code came up relating to ecu failure but the code did not re-occur after they cleared it. I was a bit sceptical as I know what dealers are like for conning you and ecu happened to be like £1000. They said it will need new ecu if car keeps getting fault. So firstly does this sound true and secondly can you use a second hand ecu they said you cant but then why would people sell them ??

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,891 Posts
It would be easier to confirm this if you could quote the actual code stored. But if it doesn't come back, then it probably isn't anything to worry about.

For example DTC P16a4 refers to an ECM internal error (OBD II Fault Codes p16a4) sounds serious, but often appears after suffering a flat car battery (I've read it of my ECU several times, and seen it on other Hondas).

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They didn't tell me the code and It slipped my mind to even ask when he said it would cost a grand ha

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Surely rather than them assuming that the code relates to an ecu fault failure the code may actually relate to the failure of the ecu communicating with the abs/ vsa sensor which would be a fraction of the cost to replace and is more common so.

A few people have mentioned it on here before

1 - 5 of 5 Posts