2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past month or so my EPS does not work when the car is turned on. Switching the car off and restarting fixes the problem but it's not exactly a situation I'd like to continue living with.

Even worse is that it went off after about 30 seconds of driving earlier this week. Bloody steering weighed a ton!

Brought it back to the dealers and they found 4 different errors so they are replacing the ECU.

Kinda lucky really though because the car is out of warranty but Honda will replace it as a "goodwill" gesture.

Anybody else had a similar issue? Could this issue be affecting the steering in even when the EPS is working? . Never really liked the "feeling"

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Yes, I and quite a few others have had this. Seems to be on early cars.

Have a read here: http://www.civinfo.com/forum/bugs-faults-irritations/19871-steering-warning-light.html

And no, it shouldn't affect the steering when it's working. The slightly vague feeling is due to the rear suspension steering the car over bumps and undulations, and the lack of feedback is due to the fact that it's electric (cheap and efficient) rather than hydraulic (lots of feedback but expensive and inefficient).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is a 2006 model with 60,000 miles so that fits the bill alright. One of the biggest disadvantages of buying a newly released model is that they are always going to have minor niggles I suppose. They iron out the issues over time then.

Most new cars seem to be using EPS type systems now. Probably lighter as well as cheaper.

·
Greek Subforum Moderator
13,240 Posts
i guess that the steering warning light will flash on your screen before any serious problem so you' ll have the time to visit the dealer and fix it once and for all...hope you wont need it...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts