2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally finished on the FN2 Turbo with Ecutek engine management running boost by gear and selectable boost maps from the cruise control buttons now finished.
Full closed loop boost control has been achieved using the stock Euro FN2 ecu so we no longer need to retrofit the American ecus.

Car has one of our own custom TDi North turbo kits and is still on a totally standard motor.

Maps as setup on this car are as follows:
Map1 - 6.5psi rising to 8 - 386bhp and 257ftlb
Map2 - 9.5psi - 398bhp and 289ftlb
Map3 - 11.5psi - 425bhp and 307ftlb
Map4 - custom

Ready to go home now.

Full custom remapping with Ecutek is available through us or our tuning partner Abbey Motorsport for all you soft southerners that don't appreciate gravy on your chips :wink3:

Quick video of the flat shifting working:

Turbo kits are listed on our webshop here: https://tdi-north.store/collections/honda-civic-06-11-forced-induction/products/tdi-north-fn2-turbo-kit

Details on Ecutek remapping can be found here: https://tdi-north.store/collections/honda-civic-06-11-ecu-electronics/products/ecutek-vehicle-tuning-civic-type-r-fn2

Details on the new Ecutek EVI bluetooth module can be found here: https://tdi-north.store/collections/honda-civic-06-11-ecu-electronics/products/ecutek-ecu-connect-bluetooth-interface

·
Enjoying life
8,559 Posts
I guess you're looking on a n/a to work on now? Happy to swap if it helps :laugh2:
Seriously, looks sweet ;)

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess you're looking on a n/a to work on now? Happy to swap if it helps :laugh2:
Seriously, looks sweet ;)
Thanks for the kind offer.... but we have already remapped over 30 NA setups over the last few months :wink3:

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,101 Posts
Hi guys, I know you may think this a stupid question, but are you able to map a low boost FN2 turbo so it's actually better on fuel than the standard FN2 under normal driving conditions?? Such as motorway and sensible off boost or up to atmospheric pressure in the inlet manifold.

This is my situation, I have a DC2 which I want to restore. It was turbocharged by me as well as a forged engine. I sold the engine to pay for a house move and refitted the original standard one. I still have all my turbo gear, ecu etc etc etc from that sat on a shelf.

Now you guys know I've had a bit of grief with my 2.2 diesel CC SMF kit. Thankfully its settling down the more miles I put on it but I really do miss my Type R turbo.

As unmolested DC2's are appreciating in value, I think it would be a bad move to turbo it again. I'm thinking getting a FN2, buy a turbo manifold and use my turbocharger generic parts that I can swap over, then custom make the pipework at work (tig welded turbo front pipe and intercooler pipework) to complete a FN2 turbo build. Keep it low boost to keep the drivability and more importantly, fuel economy.

I'd say my DC2 turbo was on par if not better economy than the standard N/A setup.

Also, do FN2s like being turbo'd on the standard unopened engine? It will be used on track occasionally. Will have stat controlled oil cooler too with baffled sump. I wouldn't have entertained my DC2 B18 turbo without forged internals but I read on here that the K series are a little better in that respect.

Sorry about the essay but I'm not feeling the greatest of love for my 2.2 anymore and I want to drive something thats fun, practical, reliable and have reasonable running costs. I think a car change for something that's unique and a nice little project is on the cards.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far a general fuel economy goes I think people are saying that with normal driving styles they are getting better returns with the turbos. This is also why most companies are now turbocharging cars as new as they are far more efficient.

Afraid it won't be as simple as trying to re-use any old parts you have and make them fit the FN2 as the turbo just wont be really compatible.

Happy to supply you any bits you think you might need but I'm telling you now that the manifold is specially designed to fit a certain type of V-band turbo purely due to the restricted space, so unless your one from the DC2 is a Borg Warner or Garrett with a Tial V-band im afraid its not going to fit

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,101 Posts
The turbo I have is a T3/T04e stage 3 wheel 57trim. I think the compressor side is a .63 A/R. Can't remember the turbine side. I know it flowed very well and had good spool up. I know I had to trim the block webbing next to the engine number on my B Series to get it to fit. Do you think that would fit or is it really that tight? I know from experience that there's bugger all room on the 2.2 diesel at the back of the block. I might have to give you a shout for parts, especially a non paddle single plate clutch.

Yes I like the reliability aspect of a turbocharger as opposed to a supercharger. The fact there's no parasitic drag also appeals to me which will aid fuel economy.

What about the K20 engine? Will it need building for a low pressure turbo kit?

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It won't fit as yours is a T3 flange. We use V-band.
For "low pressure" installs a standard motor would be fine. If you are looking at tracking the car and pushing it hard then we would advise forging just to strengthen everything.

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,101 Posts
It won't fit as yours is a T3 flange. We use V-band.
For "low pressure" installs a standard motor would be fine. If you are looking at tracking the car and pushing it hard then we would advise forging just to strengthen everything.
Hmmm, a lot of food for thought. I guess the best option is get a FN2 then size everything up. Might end up redoing my DC2 as I have everything apart from the forged internals and the clutch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts