2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m new to Honda ownership and hoping someone can help shed some light on the electronic handbrake’s settings/functionality that I can’t find a definitive answer on. I have a 2019 Civic with a manual gearbox. Should the electronic handbrake automatically engage when the engine is turned off? I think it should, as I can see no reason you wouldn’t want the handbrake on if you’ve switched the car off. Unfortunately, I’m also new to electronic handbrakes and have already had a couple of close calls with the car moving once I’ve switched off and exited the vehicle without manually engaging. If it doesn't come on when the engine is switched off is there a way to change it to come on automatically?

Any help or advice would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks azc, I’d already read that but wasn’t sure if it was an exhaustive list. The Brake Hold System doesn’t really help me as you need to remember and turn on every time you start the car (unless I’m wrong) which is just the same as having to remember to engage the handbrake switch every time you stop the car.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yes thats true on the brake hold. But in my experience activating brake hold when you start up becomes second nature after a while.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It might be a backup i.e get into the habit of switching it on when I startup and if I do forget to press the parking brake switch at least it'll kick in because Brake Hold was activated. Bit of a pain, but hopefully it'll become second nature. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
3,479 Posts
Just pretend it is an old fashioned car with the thumping great lever and pull it up every time you want the handbrake on.
An alternative is to have a sly butchers at the little red light to see if that car has conveniently done it for you.
I always switch on 'brake hold', so my H/B is applied automatically when I stop the engine. But if I am on brake hold and come all-over guilty about 'blinding the driver behind', I just pull on the H/B and the brake lights conveniently go out. Of course starting away is no prob as the H/B just lets itself off. It's magic and one of the best features.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I found the e brake took a while to get used to.
But its a much better system.
Plus it frees up alot of space in the center console.
Although reading the manual i was surprised that you can activate it at any speed.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m okay with the system and I prefer it to lever handbrake, but wish it would come on when I switch the engine off as it would make sense to do so (to me at least). I wasn’t sure why it wouldn’t and wanted to make sure there wasn’t something wrong with mine. I also like the brake hold but it was that, that caught me out the first time as I was so used to it applying the brake and I forgot to switch it on after switching off to place something in the boot. I think I’ll stat using it again, even if it’s as an insurance that at least I’ll remember to put one of them on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have you tried that yet to see what happens? I'm fresh out of bottle for that one.:eek:
I braved it I can confirm something .....

If you quickly pull it up. It won’t activate. But if you hold it up for around 2 seconds you will no longer be settled in your drivers seat and all of your Asda grocery’s will be scattered across your dash.

Don’t recommend it guys but I like to investigate ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts