"Just don’t let the badge fool you. The Type S [1.4] is no performance car."

Tom

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
The embargo actually ends on the 1/12 - so although my review is written and sitting in a hidden section of the forum, I won't be publishing it yet.

EMBARGO

Driving impressions on all variants of the revised Civic 5DR and Civic Type S are strictly embargoed until Monday 1 December. There is no embargo for all other models including the revised Civic Type R, Civic Hybrid and the new diesel automatic featured on the Accord.

·
Registered
10,247 Posts
Its a suprise to be reading about a 1.4 i-Shift that's described as sluggish changing gear, mine's anything but!

The acceleration figures quoted seem slow, surely a 1.4 Type-S would be designed to have a little bit more 'go'. Especially as its more aggressively styled than the 5 door.

I would be interested to put on head-to-head with my Civic, in the appropriate place of course!

·
Registered
10,247 Posts
Interesting. Mine does not feel as slow as Honda suggest, and the i-Shift is lightening quick to change in any mode.

I really don't know where Honda get their figures from.

Just checked the official Honda figure for my car, 0-62 is 16.1 seconds according to Honda, who on earth was testing it I don't know, its not that slow.

I'm not saying its quicker than any of the larger engined models, but mine is not that slow! My i-Shift does seem to be much faster at changing gears from all the comments I've read, maybe mine's the only one that changes as fast as it should.

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
The 1.4S is presumably aimed at the boy racers who can't afford 1.8 or TypeR insurance.

With the CC in flow Honda need to attract a bigger audience.

Softening the suspension would help somewhat. Krem won't be buying another Civ if it's just as rock hard next time round.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
I have not driven an i-shift but it sounds like even the old i-shift is quick compared to the ´box in a Smart. I am sure the gearshifts take 2 seconds....

·
Registered
10,247 Posts
If you tried one FWH, you would find it slower than your 1.8, but not by as much as you think. I have driven the 1.4 manual, 1.8 i-Shift and obviously mine, and can say you would not believe the official figures either.

Believe me, its no Type-R, but its not the slowcoach Honda would say it is.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
I have not driven an i-shift but it sounds like even the old i-shift is quick compared to the ´box in a Smart. I am sure the gearshifts take 2 seconds....
If you tried one FWH, you would find it slower than your 1.8, but not by as much as you think. I have driven the 1.4 manual, 1.8 i-Shift and obviously mine, and can say you would not believe the official figures either.

Believe me, its no Type-R, but its not the slowcoach Honda would say it is.
Sorry, you lost me.

I was having an off topic rant about a Smart.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The embargo actually ends on the 1/12 - so although my review is written and sitting in a hidden section of the forum, I won't be publishing it yet.
We all are waiting your review written sure better than car mag's.Thank you for Embargo.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts