2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm after some advice. My fiances EP3 developed an engine management light which said misfire on cylinder 4, the first garage said it will be the coil pack, he reset the ECU, all was good for about an hr till it came back on, they then said it will need a service so she went ahead with the "full service", still the same, turns out they did very little to it, no oil filter, fuel filter etc, anyway, long story short we tried someone else, he did a compression test on cylinder 4 and it had 80psi less compression than the other 3, he did a few more tests and said it looks like the piston rings are worn, my question is, how could only one piston ring be worn and none of the others? Also, is it worth rebuilding it or just dropping another lump in it?

Cheers

Dave

·
Super Moderator
2,259 Posts
id also be looking at the valve rather than rings
does it burn oil as if rings were that worn it would be kicking loads of oil past and burning it
basicly if its 80 psi down its running on 3 cylinders

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Agree with above. It's unlikely to be piston rings unless it's been kicking out loads of blue smoke for a while. But you will need to remove the head to check the valves anyway, so you can check.

Also, you said the EML is telling you there is a misfire. Silly question, but is it actually misfiring? I mean if it's down 80psi on one cylinder it will be, but just want to clarify what the symptoms actually are other than EML light?

·
Registered
118 Posts
What causes a burnt valve?

and if you have to remove the head to inspect the valves, would it be prudent to fit a new timing chain + guides whilst you're at it? (presumably the chain has to come off to remove the head?)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts