2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I recently had a new clutch put in as the previous clutch was a toda hi power clutch and overkill for uk roads.

Anyway recently I have noticed that it can very difficult to engage reverse. Don't get me wrong sometimes it slips into reverse first time but too many times over the last few days, when I tried to park up, reverse in to parking space, I have looked like a muppet as car won't go into reverse. And sometimes it would make a crunching sound before it goes it, and sometimes it will only go halfway in. Ie I can hear my rear parking sensors engaged but if I move the gear would slip back into neutral. And yes I am stationery when I am trying all of this. The car has down 30k miles.

I have tried all the usual tricks, such as putting into 3rd/1st gear first them engaging but same issue. Equally I could get it to engage reverse gear first time sometimes. Help!

I know this a common issue due to it being non synchro? But surely I should not have this much trouble. As I said a brand new clutch was installed by Stevie at grinspeed. So I don't know what the issue could be? Surely I don't have to live with this?

Sorry a bit of a noob around this area, but what fluid would I have to change given what Stevie has done.

It has a wavetrac LSD, and that was installed 10,000 miles ago. A full service was done at Honda 6 months (400 miles ago).

Could it be linkages? Is that under the gear gaitor or under airbox?

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another reverse gear problem, 2nd one today I'm having similar issues as well

Hi mate, is it exactly same as mine?

Any differences? Rally annoying me. Perfect car apart from this.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Do you have the same problem if the engine is switched off first? If not it could also be that the clutch does not fully declutch.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have the same problem if the engine is switched off first? If not it could also be that the clutch does not fully declutch.

Yeah sometime happen when engine is already off or after I have driven 15 mine say,

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My swift does it too!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
Must be annoying. Do you guys just live with it ? I had a ep3 before this which done 70k miles and never had this issue

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone help with orignial query?

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Try taking the clutch up a little when its in the halfway place

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Does not work, it just gets back into netruel, most of the time it just won't go in or just crunches only on occasions does it get stuck in half way.

·
regrets his username
7,974 Posts
My problem is the stick gets jammed in reverse have to whack it to free it, but every now and then it won't find reverse I'd have to find another gear then that would free up reverse.
Every day when I pull up at night I let my engine tick over for a few mins to let the engine settle and I always go through my gears 1st to reverse and i can guarantee it will either refuse 6th or reverse BUT if I find another gear and then go back to the problem it will sort itself out.
Oilman told me to try a yearly change of Redline Mtl box oil as its brilliant sorting out problems got 2 bottles but yet to try it

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see. My forward gear are perfect, strange. May take it to tgm.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any other bright ideas peeps. Happened again on my way home and parking.

·
regrets his username
7,974 Posts
Little update on mine i couldn't find reverse this morning so I tried putting it into 6th to see if that would free up reverse but I couldn't find 6th either. I tried pumping the clutch that didn't work so I went through the gears and what I found was happening was when I got to 6th or reverse it was actually hitting in between these 2 gears instead of dropping in, I found if I pushed the lever left or right it would drop in, cable or syncros maybe??

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Have you checked that there isn't anything like a clip or bolt fouling the cables on top of the gearbox?

Connections from the shift cables to the box look in good order?

·
regrets his username
7,974 Posts
Not sure But would this cable run under the car because I noticed Monday if I turn the steering wheel slightly left and straighten it up again I can hear what sounds like a tapping under the car (like a cable sagging then tightening up and whipping the underneath)

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have you checked that there isn't anything like a clip or bolt fouling the cables on top of the gearbox?

Connections from the shift cables to the box look in good order?
I had a look yesterday (cables are near airbox Dweezle) and nothing of note that could cause snagging.

Could this be due to the Mugen Short Shifter? Could this be causin the issue?

Another idea is to change the fluid (again)?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts