2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 55 plate civic. A few days ago my Civic started showing engine fault light on the dash. I connected the ODB reader which read P2185 (Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor2 Circuit High).

I took it to the garage to understand why the problem is coming. It was sa simple (or as complicated) as rusted temperature sensor loom (wire). Tried to find the cable without luck and honda said they dont sell it any more [smilie=stress.gif]

Can someone tell me something that I can do to solve this problem? one thing that immediately comes to my mind is "scrapyard - cut the cable from old car - join it on my car" ... any other suggestions? :popcorn2:

Thanks in advance

This is me

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
I think the sensor in question is the lower radiator sensor and not the wiring loom.

Contact honda UK and complain.
If that fails contact your consumer protection group.

I am pretty sure there are laws that state manufacturers must provide parts for products for about 5 years the last 8th gen was 2011.

A scrapyard one may have the same issue down the track.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sorry nothing to contribute on the technical but I also heard from my dealership that the OEM has to supply parts for ten years following the last car production.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey everyone, I've just started getting the P2185 Engine Coolant Temp Sensor 2 Circut High - Message on my 2006 mk8 Civic - Does anyone have any advice on how to change the sensor - is it the one on the radiator at the bottom?

Are the replacement sensors from eurocar parts or similar ok? I had a look on coxmotorparts for a genuine one, it was around £70 (seemed a bit pricey)

Any advice on how easy these are to fit - I've had a look on youtube for a video but can't find anything for the UK model. Do you need access under the car? (i've not got ramps)

Thank you for any help :)

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
i would look at the connector plug first to see if it has corroded
you might be able to clean it up enough for it to make proper contact

·
Registered
31 Posts
Any idea what the easiest way to access it is?

I've sourced a replacement sensor just not sure how to get to it. I might just have to take it to my local garage.

I've cleared the ecu code tonight. I will keep an eye on it over the next few days.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I decided to take it to my local independent garage. They had to get a Honda supplier to supply the part. They tried a couple of other sensors but they didn't match the connector despite the website saying it was a compatible part. The Honda part was £69 or so.

My only advice to anyone in a similar position would be avoid the cheap sensors and just get a genuine one it'll save you some hassel and money.

Since changing the sensor the engine warning light has stayed off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
it's anyone able to tell which sensor reads the temp the one on the engine block which is ECT1 or the one on the bottom rad ECT2 ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts