2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

So this morning I replaced the gear surround/centre cubby trim with a new one and now the car isn't starting at all.
It turns over strongly but just doesn't make any attempt at starting.

I also had to remove the centre console (cup holder and centre storage bin) to get the gear surround out.

Here's the steps i took:

1. removed the centre storage bin/cup holder
2. unplugged the heated seat and cigar lighter plugs
3. removed the trim from under the steering wheel
4. pulled the gear surround trim from out of the car
5. replaced the trims
6. attempted to start the car

I thought at first it was the battery just being flat, having enough charge to crank the engine but not enough to create a sufficient spark for a cold start.
My neighbour gave me a jump start with his Polo. still no dice. Cranking but not starting.

I know Civics of my year (2006) have an issue with wiping the immobiliser if trying to jump the car with the key in the ignition. I made sure to have the keys out the car while putting the jumper leads on and the green key on the dash disappears immediately on putting the key into the on position so i don't think it's that again because I've done it before and had to have the car sent to Honda for a £58 re-write.

Any ideas? Also any idea where the fuel pump fuse is?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Press/reset the fuel cut off reset behind the drivers side dash end panel.

If you whacked any of the dash, then this could easily of tripped.
Whew. I had no idea this was a thing that existed!

I take it i'm looking for a button or switch under the triangle trim part that pops out against the driver door?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Worked a treat!

Thanks a lot guys, absolute life savers!

Is it a common part in cars? Sorry my mechanical experience is MX5s and Motorbikes.

·
i-Vtec
2,551 Posts
Worked a treat!

Thanks a lot guys, absolute life savers!

Is it a common part in cars? Sorry my mechanical experience is MX5s and Motorbikes.
Its correct name is the Fuel Pump Inertia Switch. Basically in the event of an accident the sudden stop throws that switch instantly stopping fuel being continually pumped into the engine bay and causing a fuel fire.

·
Super Moderator
20,985 Posts
You even have to be very careful if you remove the side triangle as using a thump to pop it back can trigger the switch.

Mine triggered once and I managed to find it without removing the triangle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts