2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 13 Civic with a 1.8 VTEC engine. When I bought it, I used to have to put in about half a litre of oil every 6-8 weeks. It's now reached 125,000 miles and I'm now having to put in half a litre of oil every week. On average, I'm doing about 200 miles a week.

When I first approached Honda about the engine drinkiing oil they just said "Yeah, it might do".

Is this typical? Or is the engine on the way out?

·
Registered
2013 MK9 pre facelift 1.8 TI. Eibach springs and spacers. Michelin PS4’s. Always run on VPower fuel
406 Posts
My 13 reg 1.8 petrol gets through a litre every 1000 miles or there abouts and it has only done 33k. There are no leaks as it has been checked and no blue smoke and as above, Honda don’t really want to know. So I just top it up when required.

·
Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
22,760 Posts
Check whether it's a MY12 or MY13.

The MY13 has DAB radio and the front seat front bolts are exposed.

MY12 is known to drink oil.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
I've had a 13 plate MY12 1.8Ti from new. It's been drinking oil more or less constantly since about 30k miles.. No magic smoke or leaks etc. I would say I have to add a litre about every 1500 miles. 0w - 30 Castrol Edge is damned expensive these days, so I've resorted to Magnatec of the same grade. It's coming up to 100k now, so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Suggest If you think the amount of oil being used is costing a lot of money use cheaper oil because
it's not having to last for very long and not doing as much work. By the sound of it you are doing the equivalent of an oil change every 5000 miles

This fault does not apply to the Mk 9 2.2 diesel because in my experience they use no oil between oil changes done at 6000

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 13 reg 1.8 petrol gets through a litre every 1000 miles or there abouts and it has only done 33k. There are no leaks as it has been checked and no blue smoke and as above, Honda don’t really want to know. So I just top it up when required.
same way with mine but its an 08 but Supposebly my dealer said its normal since my car is manual. 🫠

1 - 15 of 15 Posts