2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I'm new to these forums but have been looking around, I have the 2.2 Ctdi Honda Civic EX 07 and I've owned it since late August. I've been getting an engine light that constantly comes and goes, I used an OBD 2 reader to get the code and looked at the problem online, I then took a video of the swirl valve, it seems to be moving differently to a video I saw so I'm guessing this confirms the problem, but I'm not sure where to start fixing it, does it need cleaning or do I need a new IMRC Valve/Sensor?

Sorry if I seem a bit vague or stupid, I'm quite new to cars, since this is my first. I'm not sure on what steps to take first and wouldn't really want to spend money on potential fixes that don't solve the problem since it's close to Christmas.

Thanks for reading, here's a partial link for a youtube video of the swirl valve, I can't post links yet since my post count needs to be 5 or greater. :frown2:

watch?v=G18q-Da4XT8

This is the movement on idle, it seems to move fine when accelerating but once idle it just twitches up and down and doesn't stop.

Edit: More info, the engine light was off when taking this video and before and after starting the engine it seemed to be closed/closing completely fine.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,853 Posts
P2004 is a common i-CTDi fault code. It may be because the IMRC 'swirl' mechanism has become sticky or, more likely, the associated EVR controller has developed a fault.

I'm not sure (I have an earlier version of the engine with a different EVR) but you may be able to swop the IMRC and boost control EVRs to prove that one is faulty.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Hi mate, realy common problem. The exact part you need is:

Honda IMRC solenoid part no:
36190-RSR-E01

Honda acknowledged there was a fault and swapped the solenoid to the one stated above. Essential it's a little black box which controls vacuum to the swirl valve, however the system inside leaks sucking the swirl valve open constantly when the fault occurs. Tends to happen when u go from high rev down to idle.

It's a strait swap, u can get the part from Honda very easily. Depending on where you are your looking at £110 - £130 and it will take no more than 5 mins to fix.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,853 Posts
Hi mate, realy common problem. The exact part you need is:

Honda IMRC solenoid part no:
36190-RSR-E01

Honda acknowledged there was a fault and swapped the solenoid to the one stated above. Essential it's a little black box which controls vacuum to the swirl valve, however the system inside leaks sucking the swirl valve open constantly when the fault occurs. Tends to happen when u go from high rev down to idle.

It's a strait swap, u can get the part from Honda very easily. Depending on where you are your looking at £110 - £130 and it will take no more than 5 mins to fix.

^^this is the EVR controller (also called a Frequency Solenoid Valve) to which I was referring.

I'd still have a quick play with the IMRC, just to ensure it isn't sticking.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the information and replies, I can buy a used IMRC vacuum valve with the part number 36190-RSR-E01 off ebay for £55 so I'll do that and also clean the swirl valve, I'll update if this solves the problem or not. :)

Edit: Will the new IMRC vacuum valve solve the swirl valve from moving like it is in the video? I thought it should only move if it's accelerating or decelerating, it seems to be moving even thought it's idle.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
DO NOT buy a used IMRC solenoid!! The only reason it will be on eBay is because it is not working, even if it is the better part, and someone is trying to claw back the cash they had to spend replacing it.

Yes if u get a proper working one, direct from Honda, this should stop your swirl valve from opening at idle. This is caused by the faulty solenoid not holding the pressure correctly.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,853 Posts
DO NOT buy a used IMRC solenoid!! The only reason it will be on eBay is because it is not working, even if it is the better part, and someone is trying to claw back the cash they had to spend replacing it.

Yes if u get a proper working one, direct from Honda, this should stop your swirl valve from opening at idle. This is caused by the faulty solenoid not holding the pressure correctly.

^Agree. Unless you can prove it came from, say, a wrecked engine then it should be considered as suspicious!

When I had this problem with my older i-CTDi (a slightly different design of FSV) it was because the associated air admittance filter was blocked. But that was at 175k miles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn, I have already ordered it, luckily ebay has a good return policy for buyers, it's coming from Poland and is sold by a motorparts business, the person has a 99% approval so hopefully I'm in luck. The engine light hasn't returned yet weirdly enough but the buzzing noise that Adam linked another thread of has been on and off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick update, I went to change the IMRC sensor but before I figured I'd check if the problem would persist with the current one as I felt since the engine light had gone it had been acting normal, sometimes it sounded and felt different even though the engine light was off, the first video didn't have an engine light at the time as well, I checked it and it is operating exactly as it should and isn't moving at all at idle, which is kind of annoying since I can't check if this used part works unless the problem exists... Here's a video of it operating normally with the original IMRC sensor still in.

Hopefully it will come back and I can change the part. :(

/watch?v=D3IrUrEqlkA

Still don't have 5 posts

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
This is normal. Mine came and went. U will forget it ever happened then it will come on again lol. Some times weeks in between problems, then several times a day. No real rym or reason.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It seems you're right, it has decided to come back stronger than before, I never thought I'd be happy to see the engine light haha.

I've changed the IMRC Sensor now, the engine light has gone and the swirl valve is no longer moving on idle, it seems I got lucky, hopefully it doesn't come back! :)

I'd like to thank everyone in the thread for helping me out, it has been great reading all your helpful posts and I wouldn't have been able to do it without you all!

Edit: oh, and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Here's some images with the new IMRC sensor fitted, the car is running and on idle and it wasn't moving at all, and best of all, no engine light!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all ,

Today i replaced my IMRC solenoid part but the "system check" light is still on ...
Everything seems to work fine now - the car is pulling like a train but the light is still there - Should i remove the error with a "ODB tester" or the light should be off once the solenoid was replaced ?

Thanks !

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,853 Posts
If you've actually fixed the problem then the light will go off after a couple of warm-up/cool-down cycles. Or you can reset the warning light by disconnecting the battery negative lead for 20 minutes.

Best to get your own OBD scanner. Then you could also delete the stored code and avoid future confusion about which codes are historic and which are current!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Jon_G

After i changed the IMRC solenoid i drove the car for only 5 min - maybe wasn't enough :) - But i know for sure the problem is fixed ...
Any recomendations for a OBD scanner ?

Thanks again !

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,853 Posts
Thanks Jon_G

After i changed the IMRC solenoid i drove the car for only 5 min - maybe wasn't enough :) - But i know for sure the problem is fixed ...
Any recomendations for a OBD scanner ?

Thanks again !
The most popular seems to be the ELM327 types which act as an interface to your mobile device using a Bluetooth link if used with an Android device, or via a WiFi link if Apple (you have to buy the right one). Loads on eBay...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Update on this one, after owning a mk8 civic for over 3 years and putting 100k on it I had this very problem and its failed on the Mot as a result.
Decided to pull the sensor apart not willing to pay out over a ton for a 5 quid sensor.
I fixed mine by doing the following;

Remove the sensor

Pry back the 4 metal hooks and remove the sensor cap that has the 2 pipes part of it.

Carefully remove the metal diaphragm.

Clean the Internals with a soft art brush and isopropynol alcohol or similar.

Clean the 2 pipes on the cap, I found the pipe with the smallest hole to be blocked hense p2004, thinks its constantly open because the pressure cannot get to the diaphragm

Clean it with a thin wire or strand of wire until you can see it come into view in the centre of the cap.

I also cleaned the small filter and housing, the top does pop off, just abit tight and you'll find the filter disc inside, black probably.

This cleared my fault code, hope it works for you. Dont waste your money on excessively priced chod :D

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,853 Posts
Great work, but I think you cleaned the electro-vacuum regulator (EVR, also known as the Frequency Solenoid Valve) not a sensor?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I'm new to these forums but have been looking around, I have the 2.2 Ctdi Honda Civic EX 07 and I've owned it since late August. I've been getting an engine light that constantly comes and goes, I used an OBD 2 reader to get the code and looked at the problem online, I then took a video of the swirl valve, it seems to be moving differently to a video I saw so I'm guessing this confirms the problem, but I'm not sure where to start fixing it, does it need cleaning or do I need a new IMRC Valve/Sensor?

Sorry if I seem a bit vague or stupid, I'm quite new to cars, since this is my first. I'm not sure on what steps to take first and wouldn't really want to spend money on potential fixes that don't solve the problem since it's close to Christmas.

Thanks for reading, here's a partial link for a youtube video of the swirl valve, I can't post links yet since my post count needs to be 5 or greater. :frown2:

watch?v=G18q-Da4XT8
Thanks for the information and replies, I can buy a used IMRC vacuum valve with the part number 36190-RSR-E01 off ebay for £55 so I'll do that and also clean the swirl valve, I'll update if this solves the problem or not. :)

Edit: Will the new IMRC vacuum valve solve the swirl valve from moving like it is in the video? I thought it should only move if it's accelerating or decelerating, it seems to be moving even thought it's idle.
Hi did you get the problem fixed?

This is the movement on idle, it seems to move fine when accelerating but once idle it just twitches up and down and doesn't stop.

Edit: More info, the engine light was off when taking this video and before and after starting the engine it seemed to be closed/closing completely fine.
Hi was the problem solved for the engine light coming on with the p2004 code?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts