2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have bought Civic, 5door, 1.8 petrol model/R18A engine, 8th gen., from ´06, produced in GB.

Car has 100t km and is well maintained. But there is one problem -> engine hesitation/jerking in low speeds.
I read that some of you have similar problem but there is no solution specified.

Brief description of problem:
Engine hesitation when light but constant pressure on accelerator pedal is applied. The engine isn´t sure what to do, to accelerate or not, so it does both in very small time increments (like someone is playing with gas pedal). Driving experience is very unpleasent because car jiggles and passengers shake. This usually happens in lower gears and lower rpms (1500 – 2500rpms) for example: when going downhill with slight pressure on gas pedal or while crawling in traffic jam in 1st or 2nd gear. It can be seen in rpm gauge that rpms jerk for app. 100rpms up and down in small time increments...

Other inputs:
Engine is low in petrol consumption, max speed OK, oil consumtion very low and everything else OK.
When in idle, everything seems OK, rpms are steady.
When driving on full gas, every now and than, it hiccup for a blink of the eye in any rpm - this is rare but happens...
ECU software reflash was done.
Valve clearance adjusted.
Baterry new.
Sparks new.
There is no error on HDS.
Petrol pump is new.
HDS records misfire, but everything within tolerance limits - when misfire shows it has nothing to do with this subject defect because I dont feel it at all.

I sent snapshot to Honda Europe and here is answer:
Possible cause could be the EGR Valve or throttle body, may it is just necessary to clean the throttle body.
Dlr. should check as well if the connection of the ECU is all right and no pins are corrosion!
I have noticed at the snapshot that the fuel mixture is sometimes to lean, therefore Dlr. should check (measure) the AF- Sensor 1 according to MaRIS!

My thoughts are:
pedal sensor, AF sensor, throttle body...

Authorized mechanics are not interested in solving this problem, dont have enough knowledge, experience etc... So I am forced to do it on mine own...

THX

·
Registered
140 Posts
Can i just say that my car does exactly the same and its completely normal infact i think its a characteristic of the i-vtec system (delayed vtec)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi,

I have bought Civic, 5door, 1.8 petrol model/R18A engine, 8th gen., from ´06, produced in GB.

Car has 100t km and is well maintained. But there is one problem -> engine hesitation/jerking in low speeds.
I read that some of you have similar problem but there is no solution specified.

Brief description of problem:
Engine hesitation when light but constant pressure on accelerator pedal is applied. The engine isn´t sure what to do, to accelerate or not, so it does both in very small time increments (like someone is playing with gas pedal). Driving experience is very unpleasent because car jiggles and passengers shake. This usually happens in lower gears and lower rpms (1500 – 2500rpms) for example: when going downhill with slight pressure on gas pedal or while crawling in traffic jam in 1st or 2nd gear. It can be seen in rpm gauge that rpms jerk for app. 100rpms up and down in small time increments...

Other inputs:
Engine is low in petrol consumption, max speed OK, oil consumtion very low and everything else OK.
When in idle, everything seems OK, rpms are steady.
When driving on full gas, every now and than, it hiccup for a blink of the eye in any rpm - this is rare but happens...
ECU software reflash was done.
Valve clearance adjusted.
Baterry new.
Sparks new.
There is no error on HDS.
Petrol pump is new.
HDS records misfire, but everything within tolerance limits - when misfire shows it has nothing to do with this subject defect because I dont feel it at all.

I sent snapshot to Honda Europe and here is answer:
Possible cause could be the EGR Valve or throttle body, may it is just necessary to clean the throttle body.
Dlr. should check as well if the connection of the ECU is all right and no pins are corrosion!
I have noticed at the snapshot that the fuel mixture is sometimes to lean, therefore Dlr. should check (measure) the AF- Sensor 1 according to MaRIS!

My thoughts are:
pedal sensor, AF sensor, throttle body...

Authorized mechanics are not interested in solving this problem, dont have enough knowledge, experience etc... So I am forced to do it on mine own...

THX
How's your clutch holding on?. You tried 4th gear drop to 20mph. Then put your foot down. Does the car pull ok?.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When crawling in traffic jam or in parking lot looking for free space in 1st gear for example, with pedal slightly pressed, it jerks so much, that I must press clucth pedal or press accelerator pedal more. So, the same goes for your car too?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can i just say that my car does exactly the same and its completely normal infact i think its a characteristic of the i-vtec system (delayed vtec)

When crawling in traffic jam or in parking lot looking for free space in 1st gear for example, with pedal slightly pressed, it jerks so much, that I must press clucth pedal or press accelerator pedal more. So, the same goes for your car too?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I know exactly the symptoms i think its a characteristic of the 1.8, certainly when im doing about 1800rpm then put my foot down there's a definite hesitation

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How's your clutch holding on?. You tried 4th gear drop to 20mph. Then put your foot down. Does the car pull ok?.

Yes, it does not slip. But, maybe there is a problem - clutch function of vibration damping is very poor when set off in 1st gor example... so maybe it can manifest itself in this manner. But as said, there is rpm jiggle also (+/- 100 rpms) when defect occurs.

Engine mountings are OK.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know exactly the symptoms i think its a characteristic of the 1.8, certainly when im doing about 1800rpm then put my foot down there's a definite hesitation

I am not talking about time lag between _foot down_ and _real reaction of a car_.
My car jerks when pressure on accelerator pedal is _slight but constant_ - the engine accelerates and decelerates in small time increments... Can you be more precise please!

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,128 Posts
Does it do it when the engine is cold? Does it do it when cruising at 70mph on the motorway?

Is the EGR valve on the R18 electronic?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does it do it when the engine is cold? Does it do it when cruising at 70mph on the motorway?

Is the EGR valve on the R18 electronic?
cold? yes. Does it mean that it is not AF sensor due to the fact that there is other stoichiometry sensor on catalyist untill it heats up?
70? no.
EGR? I think so

·
Registered
294 Posts
no mine does do that it's fine. I don't have the symptoms stated.

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,128 Posts
cold? yes. Does it mean that it is not AF sensor due to the fact that there is other stoichiometry sensor on catalyist untill it heats up?
70? no.
EGR? I think so
Try unplugging the EGR valve electrical connector and take it for a drive. That would indicate EGR valve fault if the symptom goes away.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think it's throttle body with dirt - the butterfly dont close completly with the dirt, and when soft throttle applied can give the bouncing you describe.

But it can also be one of these:
- throttle pedal sensor - when it starts to fail it gives jumping values;
- eletric butterfly throttle intake - the ecu receives info from the pedal sensor and it opens or close the intake butterfly using a small eletric motor that can be faulty...

The EGR on petrol engines usually don't get enough clogh up that would give symtoms...

What I would do?
The easy ones first: Get the EGR and throttle body clean, and test it.
If it continues then test pedal sensor and butterfly eletric motor.

When you sort it out, dont forget to tell us what it was. Has you saw, some have same issue... ;)

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I'm on my second 1.8 Mk 8 and they have both done this to a certain extent.

The first was much better when I replaced the battery - I replaced it because it failed totally, but that was only 6 months or so after I bought the car, so it probably had been on the way out all the time I'd owned it. I guess that a fully healthy battery gives a better spark.

I've not have the second one long, and it was about the same as the first one was once it had it's new battery - that is to say there was sometimes a little hesitation, but not much at all. However, last time I filled it I used one of the 'premium' fuels - largely because they are supposed to have better cleaning agents and the car is new to me, but it seemed to stop any hesitation almost straight away, so perhaps the higher RON helped too?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
have you tried obd for any fault codes permanent or pending?.

I thought that pending errors are not readable :)
First thing is to buy my own HDS...
To everyone, THX for your effort.
I will provide feedback through some time.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I thought that pending errors are not readable :)
First thing is to buy my own HDS...
To everyone, THX for your effort.
I will provide feedback through some time.
autel readers do, depends on the computer. Just worth a shot see if anything flags up.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I know you have mentioned about the dealers being no help, but why go to the exspence of buying your own HDS surely honda should be able to diagnose a fault code/ maf sensor failure etc

1 - 20 of 27 Posts