2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just aquired an '06 1.8 petrol Civic (my first 4 wheeled Honda) and I am generally very pleased with it. However I find that when I lift off the gas there is a slight hesitation before the engine slows down and then it does it suddenly, as if the engine had cut out (it hasn't). When I put my foot back down on the pedal there is a similar hesitation before the power comes back and then it comes back with a bit of a 'bump'. We are only talking about a lag of half a second or so but when driving in first or second in slow moving traffic it is very annoying. Once on the open road in higher gears the hesitation is hardly noticeable (but still there). The garage I bought the car from second hand (done 14,000 miles) say that this is normal with this model and it is due to the engine management taking care of the current stringent pollution controls but I'm a bit dubious. Anyone have any thoughts? If I could get the engine to decelerate and pick up a bit smooooother it would increase my driving pleasure greatly.:(

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Drive by wire??... I had the same

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
My car is also a 2006 1.8 and behaves exactly as you describe, makes it tricky to drive smoothly. I'm sure it is due to the engine management and is normal.
You could ask the dealer if there have been any ecu updates since 2006 which might help, I seem to recall reading something here about this.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
when I lift off the gas there is a slight hesitation before the engine slows down and then it does it suddenly, as if the engine had cut out (it hasn't).
But it has! It turns off the fuel on the over-run. Luckily it turns it on again just before idle.

When I put my foot back down on the pedal there is a similar hesitation before the power comes back and then it comes back with a bit of a 'bump'.
And there's the fuel coming on again... More recent ECU software will reduce this bump. Also remember that the VTEC system will cause a hesitation as it changes modes (see here).

As pcr says, go and get an ECU update if you can.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hesitation

Hi Guitaralmond,

Thanks for the reply. You say "I had the same", does this mean that you have found a fix for the problem? I find it a real pest since my previous car was a citroen Xsara with an engine management fault which had similar symptoms except that the engine would cut out completely and now, with my shiny new Honda I keep expecting the same thing to happen. I love everything else about the car (except, maybe the clunky suspension).

Thanks,

Tom (aka Templarstix)

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Hi Guitaralmond,

Thanks for the reply. You say "I had the same", does this mean that you have found a fix for the problem? I find it a real pest since my previous car was a citroen Xsara with an engine management fault which had similar symptoms except that the engine would cut out completely and now, with my shiny new Honda I keep expecting the same thing to happen. I love everything else about the car (except, maybe the clunky suspension).

Thanks,

Tom (aka Templarstix)
He HAD it because he went from a 1.8 type-S to the 2.0 Type-R which does not have the hesitation. As i have posted above, this is nothing to worry about and is normal. The engine management update DOES help and imo is really worth having your garage checked if this is installed. How my garage explained this to me is that when you lift off the throttle, the valves go into a certain position (i-vtec OFF or i-vtec ON) which sometimes causes a small judder. This is for emision regulations. Probably a dodgy explanation but i couldn understand half of what the mechanic was telling me. Just remember this is normal for 1.8 and eventually you will learn to "play" with the throttle so the judder is far less obvious. I remember myself going in traffic like on a raging bull, going forward and backward in my seat :D

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Hi Guitaralmond,

Thanks,

Tom (aka Templarstix)
Ye sorry i did fix my problem by the K20 method lol (the Type R)... you should'nt worry about the hesitation though as your car is giving you AMAZING economy at that time (partial throttle, low revs) as pottsy has explained. I've found that having the "R" and driving the same as the "S" gives a very big difference in economy. A short run hear to home driven carefully would give 35-40+mpg in the "S" while im struggling to get over 17mpg in my "R"!! (lots of short stop starts) :-(... lol I never appreciated just how much I REALLY LOVED MY OLD HESITATION!!! lol The "S" is a fantastic engine for the performance and economy mix IMO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts