2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Two weeks ago I noticed an unusual noise coming from the engine. Its really hard to describe the sound so ive uploaded a video to YouTube.

I guess its a bit like like an accentuated version of normal purring diesel engine. When i lift the bonnet up the noise seems to be coming from left of the main engine panel (sorry I know nothing about engines!) near the belt, if not the belt itself.

Its a recently serviced 2006 2.2 CDTi.

Anyone come across this before:?:

Thanks,
Dave

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,787 Posts
Is it only obvious at idle? Is it much worse when the engine is hot?

If yes to both, then I suggest the engine chains are worn.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies.

When you start driving and step on the gas pedal, does that noise accelerate as well?
Yes it does initially, but then the sound is immediately drowned out as the revs increase.

Is it only obvious at idle? Is it much worse when the engine is hot?

If yes to both, then I suggest the engine chains are worn.
Yes, it is only really obvious at idle. I haven't noticed a difference in volume at different temperatures - it seems pretty consistent every time i switch the engine on.

Are the chains an expensive replacement?

The car has done 65,000 miles if that helps to diagnose.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,787 Posts
Thanks for your replies.

Yes it does initially, but then the sound is immediately drowned out as the revs increase.

Yes, it is only really obvious at idle. I haven't noticed a difference in volume at different temperatures - it seems pretty consistent every time i switch the engine on.

Are the chains an expensive replacement?

The car has done 65,000 miles if that helps to diagnose...
Chains can cost a fortune to have replaced but, at only 65k, it is unlikely that this is your problem.

Try removing the alternator/serpentine belt to see if that kills the noise.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Take the black cover off and check the top of the injectors aren't leaking, with the engine running it will be obvious if they are. It's unlikely to be this, but I remember seeing this on a Rover diesel and the noise was very similar.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again for your replies.

I have taken a closer look and i'm pretty sure its not the alternator belt.

The sound is coming from the main engine compartment. I also noticed a little bit of smoke coming from the engine too - just a small amount but consistently, perhaps every 3-4 seconds. That sounds bad, but ive been driving it withouth any problems for over 2 weeks now! :confused:

Should i just take it to the Honda garage? I'm not sure if i can face being charged £90 just for the problem to be diagnosed!

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks again for your replies.

I have taken a closer look and i'm pretty sure its not the alternator belt.

The sound is coming from the main engine compartment. I also noticed a little bit of smoke coming from the engine too - just a small amount but consistently, perhaps every 3-4 seconds. That sounds bad, but ive been driving it withouth any problems for over 2 weeks now! :confused:

Should i just take it to the Honda garage? I'm not sure if i can face being charged £90 just for the problem to be diagnosed!

Thanks,
Dave
Does the smoke come from under the black engine cover?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does the smoke come from under the black engine cover?
Yes, it was coming through a gap on the black cover and also from a gap further up. It was a very small amount and I only noticed it as I got close.

Thanks.
Dave

·
Registered
46 Posts
Definitely sounds like it could be the top of the injectors leaking. Take the black engine cover off, start the car up and see if the smoke is coming from the top area of the injector. You'll probably find that the noise is in time with a little puff of smoke from one of the injectors.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Well, I hope for Daves sake it is a leaking injector, but I'm affraid that this sound is all too familiar to me - it's very likely that the exhaust manifold is cracked.
Common issue with the 2.2 ictdi. It is covered by extended Honda warranty, but unfortunately up to 7 years as far as I know. Repair without warranty is around 1500€ in Germany. If it is the manifold it will only get worse especially when you start smelling the fumes in the cabin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I hope for Daves sake it is a leaking injector, but I'm affraid that this sound is all too familiar to me - it's very likely that the exhaust manifold is cracked.
Common issue with the 2.2 ictdi. It is covered by extended Honda warranty, but unfortunately up to 7 years as far as I know. Repair without warranty is around 1500€ in Germany. If it is the manifold it will only get worse especially when you start smelling the fumes in the cabin.
€1500. Ahhhh!!!!!!! I really hope its not the manifold!

It's currently with my local Honda garage so I'll find out what the problem is later. Fingers crossed.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,787 Posts
It wouldn't cost anywhere near that to get the exhaust manifold replaced/repaired in the UK.... a guy on the TypeAccord forum will remove, reweld and replace for £200.

But that would be about the right price to have the timing chains replaced!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The report back from Honda says it is that injector no.3 is leaking. They're charging £112 for the repairs.

I can deal with that! I'm just glad it wasn't the exhaust manifold.

Thanks for your help everyone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts