2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this is answered many times in the forums but really looking for a quick yes/no answer on this. I have some leftover oil/coolant from my petrol Focus and was wondering if it would be suitable for topping up my levels in the civic (2006 1.8)? If not I will buy a better brand replacement such as Castrol etc but would like not to waste these if they would be ok (otherwise recommendations?)

I live in East Anglia, UK if that helps in establishing climate, lol. Appreciate any opinions. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes, for the coolant.
For the oil is not so simple. As you can see it says suitable for petrol and diesel engines, but (always are a BUT) they don´t say the especifications of the oil. I suposse that being a 5w30 are a3/** at least, that are what you should use.
The other thing is what oil are you using at the moment, because you should´t mix different oils or different viscosity.
Your engine work good with a 5w40, keep that in mind, due to posibility of oil consumption.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, for the coolant.
For the oil is not so simple. As you can see it says suitable for petrol and diesel engines, but (always are a BUT) they don´t say the especifications of the oil. I suposse that being a 5w30 are a3/** at least, that are what you should use.
The other thing is what oil are you using at the moment, because you should´t mix different oils or different viscosity.
Your engine work good with a 5w40, keep that in mind, due to posibility of oil consumption.
Well, to update: I've looked at the coolant in the radiator and it appears to be a very light blueish colour. Obviously the bottle i have is pink and so should they not be mixed? Also it is damn hard to see the actual level in reservoir (as many have mentioned before).

The car is reletively new to me and I havent added any oil yet so do not know what is in there? The oil has this written on the back: Industry Standards - ACEA-A1, B1 and API-SL,CF
Does that mean it is compliant with the standard you mentioned?

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unless anyone has any other input, i'll prob just buy some 0w-30. Not sure though about coolant due to the colour being different from what ive got and seen before?!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
0w30 is not recommended for your engine, there are posiblities of oil consumption because of low viscosity oil.
I recommend you a 5w40 oil that meets ACEA A3/** specs. Or 5W30 oil with ACEA A5/B5 if your driving style is not too hard.

For coolant if you not sure, change it. its easy. then put a new coolant and you should have a bit fot top up if necessary.
Anyways the only important is not mix organic and inorganic coolants.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok mate, thanks. I think changing the coolant would put my mind at ease. I'm sure there will be info on here to show how that's done. I'll take ** advice and prob get 5w40 for the oil in that case and maybe do an oil change as well as oil filter too. Then I can stick to the same oil after that.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts