·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Earth Dreams :)
927 Posts
Interesting read..

Normally oil dilution is when the ECM has to add fuel to get the exhaust temps up for the after treatment to work.. Esp when sat in traffic idling for long periods of time.
I have seen this on Deutz engines and also on Kubota engines in the construction world. Only fix is to shorten the service life, ie. change the oil more often..

What the article doesn't say is whether this also extends to the 1.6DTEC engines..... Not heard of it yet.. has anyone else?

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,228 Posts
I've heard that on the 1.6 DTEC as with other cars with a DPF that if your motor is doing a regen not to turn the motor off till it's complete or there will be Diesel dumped into your oil? I check my Oil regular and have never seen the level increase. Saying that, my commute is 60 mile round each day and never sat in stop / start traffic. I know when it is doing a regen as throttle response worsens and the meter that tells you the miles left to next fill plummets all of a sudden.

·
Earth Dreams :)
927 Posts
Think I better check the CRV oil quality. Will get a sample and find out what the fuel % is in it...

·
Registered
365 Posts
Mine has rarely done short trips. It always gets up to normal operating temperature. Nevertheless, checked my oil this morning, smells of gasoline/petrol although the level is exactly at the upper mark on the dipstick as it has always been since I received the car earlier this year (3 months 5k km now). This is concerning.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Ok after some extensive reading, here's what I've come up with:

1. Used oil smelling like gas/petrol is very common across multiple brands. It's not a new problem of small displacement turbos, it's been around for a while.
2. Only a used oil analysis will definitely tell you if you have a serious problem (a very small amount of fuel will cause a lot of smell in liters of oil).
3. Short trips not allowing the engine to get to normal operating temps, low rpm with high load (lugging the engine) in small displacement turbos leads to LSPI (low speed premature ignition) that the ECU combats with more fuel for a cooling effect, and extreme low temps all increase fuel richness. These conditions increase unburnt fuel getting into the oil.
4. Unless your oil level is rising, it seems from most reports you should be ok.

·
i-Vtec
1,497 Posts
there is no known fix at this time. The only advice is to monitor the engine oil level, and if the oil level begins to rise, to change the oil.
Crikey thats going to get expensive even if you have the ability to change your own oil.

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Depending on total engine mileage covered in relation to number of previous oil changes/mileage interval of previous oil change, 'suppose there is a possibility the level of contaminates in the sample could be partly as a result of how the above panned out.

If previous services were carried out at official intervals (imo) extended service intervals, I would'nt be entirely surprised if contaminant 'residues' were left over in the sump/internals (perhaps more so with a diesel engine ?)

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,228 Posts
I try and let my DERV go no more than 10K between changesand change the Filter every change.

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,355 Posts
From new. 1st service at 9100 miles so below recommended mileage. Now on 15000 miles and due in on Monday. Quite possible new engine running in some deposits not removed on 1st service still present. She gets tested again in about 5 months. Silicon according to google is dirt with possible cause air filter or leak? I'm getting new filter whether or not due.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Don't know if this would be relevent to a modern diesel engine, namely compared to a petrol, a typical diesel engine would churn out loads of s#it. This would be immediately seen after a couple of hundred miles on new oil, when it would have turned black.

Manufacturers, knowing this would recommend a high detergent engine oil with shorter change intervals to gather up the c#ap. Perhaps the analysis of the diesel engined oil is'nt so unusual ?

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,228 Posts
Service interval on the 2.2 I-CTDI is 20K. No way would I run my car for that duration without changing the oil.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Service interval on the 2.2 I-CTDI is 20K. No way would I run my car for that duration without changing the oil.

Why not?
20.000 can be traveled in many ways.
If most where motorway miles, they'd pretty easy on the engine and oil.
No use overengineering a product...

·
Administrator
17,936 Posts
Derv's have excessive soot that contaminate oil, so I'd run shorter intervals.

After just a few hundred miles, a derv's oil isn't clean anymore. Instead it's all black and sooted up, very unlike a petrol.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Derv's have excessive soot that contaminate oil, so I'd run shorter intervals.

After just a few hundred miles, a derv's oil isn't clean anymore. Instead it's all black and sooted up, very unlike a pertrol.

Tractors don't seem to mind... :wink3:

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,228 Posts
Why not?
20.000 can be traveled in many ways.
If most where motorway miles, they'd pretty easy on the engine and oil.
No use overengineering a product...
I do mostly A Road and Dual Carriageway driving and there's no way when I had the 2.2 that I'd go 22K between changing the Oil, just a personal preference. Same as I wouldn't do the recommended 12K in the current 1.6. I would go 10K max. Again, personal preference. I service my cars more rigidly than the Honda service manual suggests and I hope that it makes the car go better and last longer? I use OEM on all service parts as I think they are better quality and hopefully with that mindset will get a hell of a lot more trouble free miles.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts