2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've recently a 2006 Honda civic really cheap that's been to the moon and back, I've put even more wear on it by using it to deliver food for about a month then one night as I parked at home lots of steam came out from under the bonnet and when I got out I could hear the coolent bubbling. The next day it started fine but after a few minutes the engine temperature gage shot to the top. I've read loads online aswell as speaking to people and they all point towards it being the thermostat that's at fault but yesterday as I had another look, I noticed some wires with loose tape attached so I tightened the tape up a little and somehow it now seems to be working fine! I don't want to jynx it and I know I will have to have it checked properly at some point but I wondered if anyone has an idea of what wire it might have been that for now just seems to have a bad connection. Cheers

·
Super Moderator
3,121 Posts
Can't help on the issue but it might be worth making sure that those wires are checked over and made secure, you don't want it happening again.

·
Registered
220 Posts
It might help if you told us what engine (petrol/diesel, engine size etc) and roughtly where the wires were, or better still, take a photo of said wires, otherwise we really are just stabbing in the dark

·
Registered
992 Posts
Sorry but that sounds like a head gasket. Loads of white smoke and overheating. See how it goes but you're describing fairly classic symptoms. I've had 3 go on me over the years in various cars.

Look at the oil via the cap, does it look normal or with weird white bits? Even that isn't a surefire way however.

If it is a head gasket then eventually the car won't start as you won't have any compression. Also don't drive it until that point unless you want to scrap the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts